PL/M 86 applied to industrial automation

• Thread starter Luciano Vasconcelos
  • Start date
L

Luciano Vasconcelos

Somebody have good materials about PL/M 86 ?
Maybe applied in industrial automation ?
Where i can find good site covering it ?

M

Michael Griffin

As far as I know, PL/M is essentially a dead programming language. Digital Research (the makers of CP/M) used to sell PL/M compilers, but I don't know where you would get one now. If you search the web for sites dealing with old computers, or old operating systems (such as CP/M), you might find a PL/M compiler for download. As far as I know, there is no particular reason to want to use PL/M in industrial automation today.

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada

G

Gilles Allard

>Luciano Vasconcelos wrote:
><clip>
>>Somebody have good materials about PL/M 86 ?
>>Maybe applied in industrial automation ?
>>Where i can find good site covering it ?
><clip>

> As far as I know, PL/M is essentially a dead programming language.
> Digital Research (the makers of CP/M) used to sell PL/M compilers, but
> I don't know where you would get one now.

PL/M86 (and PL/M80) where among the first high-level languages for Intel microprocessors. They were very efficient The compilers were available from Intel and were later included with iRMX, a proprietary real-time operating system. Intel later sold the iRMX source code to Radisys. I do not know if they still exist.

PL/M has been used a lot in industrial automation but it would not be a good choice today.

Gilles

C

Curt Wuollet

I didn't think I'd ever hear anyone asking for it, but there is a PL/M compiler for Linux and a PL/M -> C translator. I don't think I'd do new work in PL/M, I'm not sure a version for >16 bits is available. It was aimed at the same purposes as C and C is a vastly superior choice if your hardware has a C compiler and linker available. I assume you are working with (ahem) vintage equipment if you know about PL/M. Still, there isn't a great deal wrong with the language as such, if the hardware is still viable. The last
folks that got excited about it were working with iRMX I'm sure a google search for iRMX users groups would put you in touch with some resources. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll thrash around in the tar pits a bit and see
what I can find.

regards

cww who has a PDP-11/23 in his basement and a couple of CP/M dinosaurs for space heating.