planned absence

C

Curt Wuollet

Hi Jiri

I've been kinda waiting for your code to stabilize to proceed. If you're leaving for > a month, I've got a few choices. I can wait and address peripheral issues, I can dig in and work with it as is, or I can proceed with the stuff I am familiar with. I lean toward the dig in approach as that means less rework, but that will be more difficult if you're not around. We'll just have to see I guess. At any rate, have a good time and we'll talk to you when you get back.

Regards

cww

Curt Wuollet:
> I've been kinda waiting for your code to stabilize to proceed.

The API for the SMM itself should be fairly stable. Multi-bit points shouldn't change the API much - it's been written from the beginning to
cover up to 32-bit points (that's why plc_set() and plc_get() are declared with u32 rather than some kind of boolean).

The config parser is fairly new, but it should be OK - I've now put it into the io/dio48 code and the new curses-based MMI... I think there'll be a few utility functions, and maybe new kinds of data types, but I don't think either of the datatypes currently provided will go away.

As for the code itself, the SMM's been a bit destabilized by the recent reorganization, but I think --PLClocal is functional and --PLCisolate only has a couple of bugs that'll be fairly easy to fix. With any luck I'll be able to fix them now (tonight will probably be my last linuxPLC session).

> If you're leaving for a month, I've got a few choices. I can wait and
> address peripheral issues, I can dig in and work with it as is, or I can
> proceed with the stuff I am familiar with.

There should be no problem coding against the SMM except the single-bit limitation.

> I lean toward the dig in approach as that means less rework, but that
> will be more difficult if you're not around.

Mario is familiar with the SMM code (some parts of it better than me), so he should be able to help with any queries.

He's also planning on implementing the multi-bit points, so you won't have to wait for me with that.

> At any rate, have a good time and we'll talk to you when you get back.

Thanks - I should be on e-mail at least part of the time, but I probably won't have much time for answering it.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <[email protected]>
"Coffee machine out of paper" (error message missing from Coffee mini-HOWTO)