PlantScape- Automate or manual switch to backup server?

P

P.Petre

Hello,
There are some situations when my PlantScape system doesn't switch to backup server automatically.

The first situation when I saw that my PlantScape system did not switch to backup server automatically was when I used the primary server for some Excel files and somehow the computer froze all the applications. The operator stations showed then some non-process values and the system did not switch to backup (even after a few minutes).

After this I made some more tests and I conclude following:

1. Any time when the active server freezes because any reason the system does not switch to backup server automatically. Someone has to do it manually. “Freeze” a mean to say when the computer doesn’t respond and the only way is to restart it by its front panel button. I can get a frozen server by malfunction of a DOS program or an Excel file

2. If I stop some services on the primary server (RSLinx for example) I get some non-process values on the operator screens and I have to do manually a “fail over to backup”.

3. Same thing if I disconnect the ControlNet cables from the primary server.

4. In all other cases that I could check the automatically switching to backup is done in less then 30 seconds.

On TDC3000 the redundancy is such a reliable thing but here on PlantScape I don’t feel the same.
So, is it normal or does it happen only on my system?

Thank you for any information regarding my problem.

A
Hi P Petre,

You have 2 problems:
1. Freezing of the system.
2. hot standby Redundancy not working.

Can you make config changes to have the redundant systems work as two systems and then use some external means of switching I/O ports if needed?

Regards,
Anand

Visit http://www.smbd.org
The website that changes regularly
Cruise Control project ongoing on www.smbd.org

P
You need to ensure that the "Failover to backup on Hybrid communications failure" switch is active. This is set on the redundancy page on the more recent versions of plantscape (R320 upwards).
You should also check that you are using the correct redundancy settings in the software arbitration service. These are set up in the hardware builder file supplied with the system (redundancy.hdw). Make sure that both systems are configured in the same way.

The system software watchdog subsystem should detect a "primary freeze" and promote the secondary to its primary function. You can turn on some diagnostics to fault find this if required. You can get the instructions from your local honeywell branch. ( or give me an email and I can set it out for you )

I work with several redundant plantscape system (10000 points) and find the failover's excellent.

Thank you Mr. Paul Dennis.
So... there is something wrong with my sistem.
If you could send me some more instructions to
diagnostic my sistem i would be very happy.
My email is [email protected].
Thank you again and All the best.