Playing Sound Files on an Alarm

J

Jit Roop

Hello Listers:
I have a customer who would like to play sound files (MP3, WAV) on an alarm condition instead of the typical alarm horn. The current set-up is a PLC activating the alarm horn on a fault.

The first thing I suggested was to use an inexpensive PC interfaced to the PLC and play the appropriate sound file on an alarm. However the customer requires at least 5 of these units in different locations. The PC solution would work but is too bulky and may require an external amplifier.

Does anyone know of an appropriate solution that can accept digital inputs from the PLC to play various pre-programmed sound files?

Thanks

Jit Roop
Oceanside Technologies Ltd.
#140 - 8208 Swenson Way
Delta, BC
V4G 1J6
email: [email protected]
Tel: (604) 588-5450 Fax: (604) 588-5457

B

Brian Raynor

Hello Jit,

Industrial Control Software (UK) have an Alarm Management package called IMAC, which can play sound files on alarms (amoungst many other features).

It's probably overkill for your application, but may be worth a look.

Regards,

Brian Raynor
Advanced Project Solutions
----------------------------------------------------
Phone: 61 8 9240 6622
Fax: 61 8 9240 6633
Mobile: 0412 283 265
E-mail: [email protected]
ICQ# 12204924 http://wwp.icq.com/12204924
----------------------------------------------------

E

Eric M. Klintworth

Check out <http://www.racominc.com/900.HTM>
This company makes a variety of digital announcers. (I haven't used them personally.) You would have to record the "announcement" wav file from a PC via the sound card, but that shouldn't be problem unless you change the announcement frequently. These things are inexpensive, $100 range. There are higher-end solutions around; someone else on the list will surely have those names on the tip of their tongue.

Eric Klintworth
Columbus, Ohio

M

M. Orechkine

> Does anyone know of an appropriate solution that can accept digital inputs from the PLC to play various pre-programmed sound files? < Jit, If you have not engaged output, you can try to connect audioplayer to it.