PLC-5 Redundancy

F

Fred Watson

I am trying to implement a redundant plc-5 system. Can anyone give me some
info on how this is done or assist me in the parts needed?

R

R A Peterson

PLC5 redundancy is accomplished via BCM modules.

The PLCs are in seperate racks with a BCM module in that rack the only module. All I/O must be remote. The BCM modules select which PLC controls
the RIO chain and which DH+ channel is connected to the HMI/SCADA system.

Ladder logic is required to transfer data between the two PLCs.

For real info check out their web site

http://www.ab.com/catalogs/html/b112/plc/1785BCM.html

F
Bryan,
Thanks for your help. I found the answer right under my nose. I went to the Allen-Bradley Knowledge Base and it was right there. Once again Thank You

Fred Watson

> -----Original Message-----
> From: "Weir, Bryan " <[email protected]>
>
> Can you be a bit more specific? Do you mean that you want to implement a PLC-5 system with redundancy?<

A

Anthony de la Rosa

I'm still not clear though on how to implement redundancy on say a PLC 5/80E. Is it possible to use BCM for the DH and RIO part and then segment
the network and have the backup PLC's ehternet on the other segment (or VLAN). In my particular situation I have ethernet specifically because I
use A-B Interchange to read and write from one register each on an Alphaserver 4100.

I am thinking that if I have the backup PLC enet on a different segment the database application on the alphaserver would have to be modified
accordingly and with enough capability to switch to the backup interchange defined addresses when the primary one fails or perhaps do a cross check
when there is only a change of state in the seconday processor and not both.

anthony

M

Mark Fairbaugh

If you go to the Allen Bradley website you can look at the manual on line to do all this.

Basically for 1 channel (DH+ or RIO) you will need a BCM card , if you have a PLC-5/40 with 2 channels you will need a BCM and BEM. Also you will need 2 Processors and to make it totally redundant you should have redundant power supplies.

Mark T. Fairbaugh
Sr. Process Control Engineer
PT Newmont Nusa Tenggara
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: ++(62)-370-636-318 Ext 47948.

S

Suwat Kaewjongprasit

> I am trying to implement a redundant plc-5 system. Can anyone give me some
info on how this is done or assist me in the parts needed?

You can use PLC-5 with controlnet redundancy system. It can redundant your CPU and Network. if you have more question E-mail to us.