PLC communication through OPC Using VB.net

M

Mauricio B

We are trying to define the architecture to control a system from a computer using a windows based application. One of the options is to use VB.net as the interface and send the information directly to the controls or to a PLC as a "packaged routine" via OPC.

My question is it possible to create a sequence of operations and decision making procedures using VB.net, pack them up, and send them to the PLC via OPC? If so, how common of a practice is this in the industry and what is the best/easiest way to implement it?

I am not trying to get into the details of how to do this but to determine if this is the right approach and if we will be able to find the resources to achieve this.

V
I find your question a little odd. Why would you like to download sequence of operations to PLC. What you can do maximum is you have all your routines or function blocks coded in your PLC and then you can use VB.Net and OPC (along with some PLC logic) to select which FB to execute and also control what data to pass to that FB as input.

Vipul Shah
http://www.egenietech.com
[email protected]