PLC of Siemens

M

milk-fact

Hi all.
I am a student of electronic engineering.I have some questions about PLCs of Siemens.Please help me to find answers of these questions.

1.Can PG730 be used for programming of S5-100U PLCs.If not ,what is hardware limitations of this PG that can't be used instead of PG720.

2. What's the table number printed on front face of CPU or input/output modules of PLCs of Siemens; and for instance can be replaced a
CPU-S5-100U that no.2 is signed on it with a CPU like it with no.3 signed on it.

3.If there is an address in Internet that can help me to learn STEP7(language for programming of Siemens PLC) and information of Siemens hardwares, please guide me.

Thank you
Arash

D

D.C. Pittendrigh

HI All

> 1.Can PG730 be used for programming of S5-100U PLCs.If not ,what is
> hardware limitations of this PG that can't be used instead of PG720.

Yes

> 2. What's the table number printed on front face of CPU or input/output
> modules of PLCs of Siemens; and for instance can be replaced a
> CPU-S5-100U that no.2 is signed on it with a CPU like it with no.3
> signed on it.

The number table is a version number for the card and in the greater majority of cases different versions are compatible with each other although there are some exceptions.

> 3.If there is an address in Internet that can help me to learn
> STEP7(language for programming of Siemens PLC) and information of Siemens
hardwares, please guide me.

At http://www.ad.siemens.de/ you can follow the links to the support section where it is possible to download complete Siemens manuals which should answer any questions on PLC subjects.

Regards
D.C. Pittendrigh

D

Doug McQueen ESI Electric Supply Inc.

No you can't, the pg 730 is for the S7 only, the s5 is different. Now, if you have a 90,95u or any of the 100's you can buy a hand held programer. Or better yet, get the software thats limited for those cpu's. Just type siemens @your browser, look for industrial automation. Yes siemens does
have endless help/example's and a great tech support line if you need to call them.
good luck.

I

Ing. Rodolfo Dotro

First, you can to program all the Simatic S5 with the PG 730 without problem.
Second, the number in front of the CPU is the version and not create any problem the change of CPU for numbers more high

Hi All

> No you can't, the pg 730 is for the S7 only, the s5 is different.

I apologise in advance for the controversy but the above statement is absolutely untrue. The PG730 was released over 8 years ago long before S7
was a pipe dream. Before I touched my first S7 I was using a 730 for S5 for several years. I have now been commissioning and designing for Simatic for almost 20 years, and I am not guessing.

Regards
Donald Pittendrigh

T

thorsten may

1. Why don't you just buy the S5 software for a laptop, it works just as well as the expensive PG without the ability to burn eproms. You can however buy a stand alone eprom burner that connects to your printer port. The PG 730 should work just fine, if you have problems, buy a PG750 which only does the S5, you can also buy the PG. 740 PIII, a little pricy but good it will do both Sf5 and S7.

2. Any Siemens product starts with 6ES-------, I'm not sure about the CPU.

3. It will probably not be too easy to find something on S7 learning on the Internet. You can go to Chicago, IL or Johnson City, TN for some good training on the S7. If you know S5, S7 will be easy except for some nomanclature changes. It is actually a much better software and so much more powerfull. Cost per class is about $1250-$1500 for one week.

D

Donald Pittendrigh

I apologise in advance for the controversy but the above statement is absolutely untrue. The PG730 was released over 8 years ago long before S7 was a pipe dream. Before I touched my first S7 I was using a 730 for S5 for several years. I have now been commissioning and designing for Simatic for almost 20 years, and I am not guessing.

Regards
Donald Pittendrigh

1. Why don't you just buy the S5 software for a laptop, it works just as well as the expensive PG without the ability to burn eproms. You can however buy a stand alone eprom burner that connects to your printer port. The PG 730 should work just fine, if you have problems, buy a PG750 which only does the S5, you can also buy the PG. 740 PIII, a little pricy but good it will do both Sf5 and S7.

2. Any Siemens product starts with 6ES-------, I'm not sure about the CPU.

3. It will probably not be too easy to find something on S7 learning on the Internet. You can go to Chicago, IL or Johnson City, TN for some good training on the S7. If you know S5, S7 will be easy except for some nomanclature changes. It is actually a much better software and so much more powerfull. Cost per class is about $1250-$1500 for one week.