PLC Programmable

B

Berend

Hello,

I have a Siemens S5, which I bought a few days ago, and I also have some software with it. I know I can program the CPU with this piece of software. But can it be done with a programming language like C++ or Java? I don't want APIs or DLL but pure code to program my PLC.

What do I need? (Protocols?)

Greetings,
Berend

F

function_block_brian

Siemens S5 is a relatively old type of PLC that has since been superseded by S7 and the soon to be released (Ha) S9.

Programming is done in:
1) Ladder logic (Lad)
2) Function Block Diagram (FBD)
3) Statement List (STL)

Laddder logic is possibly the easiest to program in as it uses Graphical representation of the automation task with symbols that are linked to external i/o or internal functions. This code is very easy to follow.

Function Block Diagram (FBD) is probally the next easiest to use. It also used Graphical representation of the automation task (with symbols to DIN 40700/ DIN 40719) You will need a list of what the function blocks do - Have you manuals??

Statement list is by far the most difficult to program in and in turn to understand but also the most useful. It will take a lot of time to understand the language.

I should have some info on these, but setting up the PLC could prove difficult if you have not done so before or had any exposure to Siemens PLCs

What type of application do you intend to use it for?

Brian

D

david mertens

Siemens had C, PASCAL, FORTRAN and BASIC programming languages available on top of the standard S5 programming tools. However it may be very difficult to get these as they are probably no longer sold or supported. (S5 is no longer sold by siemens, the current product is S7).

I know this is old, but old does not mean it can not be functional. I want to use the PLC for my aquarium automation. So is it possible to programm the PLC (and read it) with a programming language? Where do I have to look for? Protocols?

M

Michael Griffin

The S5 PLC has an interpreter built in which runs a programming language called "S5 statement list". This looks very much like assembly language. Ladder logic or function block diagram is just a different way of displaying statement list.

This is not like programming a computer. You can't get at the microprocessor hardware directly. You have to use the S5 language and the Siemens Step 5 programming software. If this isn't what you want to do, then you don't really want a PLC.

I don't know which model of S5 PLC you have, but try the following location. The S5 manuals were fairly good at explaining how PLCs work.

http://support.automation.siemens.c...&extranet=standard&objid=10805082&treeLang=en