PLC-to-MODBUS Converter -- RS485/232 to MODBUS TCP/IP

B

Benny Magrafta

I am looking for a converter that can interface between a RS485/232 com port (MODBUS master) and TCP/IP slave units.

Can any recommend such a converter?

J
Schneider Electric has one of their own Modicon #174CEV30010. This is a bridge from RS232/RS485 to Modbus TCP/IP.

D

David Doggett

Schneider sells a unit for this purpose.
The part number is 174CEV30010.

The device will convert Modbus Serial 232/485 to Modbus TCP/IP. The unit can handle both RTU and ASCII protocol, Modbus Master/slave connections as well as multidropped slaves.

David Doggett
Schneider Electric

D

Darrell Wrubleski

The 174CEV-300-10 Modbus to Ethernet Bridge will do the trick.

It is available from you Schneider Automation Distributor

Regards,
Darrell Wrubleski
Guillevin Automation
Burnaby, BC

R

Rafael Jacomino

Try Modicon's 174CEV30010 ModBus Serial to ModBusTCP gateway. It works for both simple SCADA/HMI, and programming/design applications. In other words, it does not provide an internal "look-up register-table," instead it directly connects any ModBus devices on either side as genuine Master/slave nodes. While requiring nothing special from neither device! Good luck.

Hirschmann Electronics have all sorts of protocol converters. Try looking under "Anybus" on the web. The modules deal with any serial comms to any fieldbus i.e. RS232 to Ethernet for example.

Sorry I can't be more specific

Look at PROLINX convertors. I have used them to communicate between Modbus TCP/IP Networks and Multiple Modbus RS422/485 valves. There are a variety of PROLINX models and conversion types available. They act as an intermediate data concentrator which allows for easy conversions. You have to watch out for some of the RS232/422/485 to TCP/IP convertors on the market do not allow you to read 30000 registers.

When I say some devices cannot read 30000 registers it is not that the device cannot read 30000 registers it is that aPLC MSTR block required to read the device cannot be configured to read 30000 registers. The PROLINX device can read 30000 registers from the field device into 40000 registers in the PROLINX database; then an PLC MSTR block can be used to read the 40000 registers from the PROLINX database into the appropriate PLC 40000 registers. It sounds more confusing that it actually is. Good Luck.

R

Richard Theron - FieldServer

Hi Benny

The FieldServer (FS-B2010-01) "www.fieldserver.com":http://www.fieldserver.com has to the ability to have the serial & Ethernet to be configured as a Master or Slave & different combinations of the two. The entry level has the capacity of 500 points, The serial port has speeds from 400 to 115K and the Ethernet pot has a 10BaseT connection.

Regards,
Richard