PLC2 to RS-232

L

Lynn Linse

I have a customer with over 50 old PLC2 they want to access by RS-232 serial. None have a 1771-KG card - which look pretty much like overkill at $1500 each (how many MicroLogix can I buy for $1500 ...) Has anyone seen any alternative solutions? Worst case we may end up just using some low-cost I/O to parallel sense the PLC2's inputs. Regards Lynn August Linse, Senior Product Application Engineer 15353 Barranca Parkway, Lantronix Inc, Irvine CA 92618 [email protected] www.lantronix.com Tel: (949)300-6337 Fax: (949)453-7132

B

Bob Peterson

I think you might be able to use the PLC's serial port for this. Its a 20 mA current port. You may be able to buy a current loop to serial card from black box. they used to make them. Then you could go rs232 to the black box. ab/icom used to have a "smart" cable for this prupose, but I doubt it is still available. RSlinx should be able to talk to the PLC through a serial port using the smart cable driver. Bob Peterson

J

Jeremy Pollard

Hey Bob. RSLinx doesn't support the PLC-2 using the front port that I can find. Which driver would you use? I have a drawing for a smart cable to go from 232 to PLC-2 so can re-produce. Protocol is not public I thought. What ya think?? Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET [email protected] On The Web - http://www.tsuonline.com PLCopen North America - [email protected] www.PLCopen.org the Training Factory, Inc. Programmable Controller Support Systems The Software User Newsletter ONLINE The Crazy Canuckian! 8 Vine Crescent, Barrie, Ontario L4N 2B3 705.739.7155 Fax 705.739.7157

L
Thanks to all. Looks like I'm getting real close to an appropriate solution. My customer would be overjoyed if all I could offer was the equivalent of DF1 Unprotected Reads encapsulated in TCP/IP. Assuming I can find ANY application which talks to this port (even if RSLinx cannot), that should not be hard to produce. I could even probably get it into Ethernet/IP for true Rockwell believers. regards Lynn August Linse, Senior Product Application Engineer 15353 Barranca Parkway, Lantronix Inc, Irvine CA 92618 [email protected] www.lantronix.com Tel: (949)300-6337 Fax: (949)453-7132

B

Bob Peterson

Been a long time since I used it. I know there used to be a way to talk to the PLCs through the smart cables that way. maybe AB removed that capability along the way. Bob Peterson