PLC5 and ABEL

A

Anonymous

I am trying to communicate with AB PLC 5 using the ABEL library from a Linux Machine... The abel code is working for SLC, but when i try to write some value in data file or timer file of PLC5 I gate the extended error code... "File is wrong size". I am using the word -write command program of ABEL Library.

Pls help. Thanks.

S
Most SLC files are limited to 256 elements (integers, floats, timers, counters, etc., and bit files are up to 256 words), while PLC5 files don't have a size limit that I'm aware of. Maybe the file you're trying to write is larger than 256 timers and the ABEL library was designed and tested with a SLC. To test, create a timer file with 256 or less timers and see if you can write to it. Make sure the file number is not more than 255, as the SLC is also limited to 256 data files.

--
Steve Myres, PE
Automation Solutions
(480) 813-1145

M

Michael R. Batchelor

Steve,

Honestly, I've only seen one occasion in my life where we
actually used a 1000 element file, and that was as much poor design as anything else. But, since our company actually has an in-house instructor who provides PLC/SLC/CLX training classes to paying customers, we tend to know a lot of little oddball tidbits about the various PLC models here.

MB
--
Michael R. Batchelor - Industrial Informatics, Inc.
Contribute to society: http://www.distributed.net/ogr/

The size you read and the size defined in the PLC must match, ie number of elements. You can always read less elements but never more than are defined in the PLC. (so if you are reading like N:10.0 for a length of 9, then N10.0 thru N10.8 must be defined in the PLC).

The default word size for SLC is 16 bits and the default for PLC5 is 8 bits.

Try sending a Sint (Short Integer).

Chow