Portable production data logger

M

Michael Griffin

Dear Sirs:
I have been asked by someone if a portable datalogger (event logger) for monitoring the performance of particular individual machines on a temporary basis is available. I am working on a long term solution involving a centralised network system. In the mean time though, we are interested in connecting a data logger to certain individual machines for short term studies of down time occurances, faults, etc. The device would be moved from machine to machine as required.

This device would be a little different from a typical data logger. Rather than recording analogue readings on a timed basis, it would need to record the times at which digital events occurred. Such devices exist, but they are much less common than the conventional data loggers.

A normal data logger which time stamped events would work, but I am also interested in something which is more directly intended for this
application. Several years ago I had some literature on a data logger which was intended for exactly this application (production analysis). The inputs had defined functions and modes. It also came with special software which
helped you to analyse the results. Since it was intended for down time and fault analysis, it didn't require you to spend a lot of time manipulating data in spreadsheets to get useful results.

Unfortunately, a while ago I decided that I would never use such a thing, and I believe that I threw the literature out (at least I can't find
it now). Now however, I need one. If anyone has any information on this or a similar item I would be interested in hearing from them. Vendors can contact me directly if they wish.

If anyone would care to recommend a conventional data (event) logger which would time stamp digital inputs (24VDC) and allow the results to be
down loaded into a PC I would also be interested. It should have 4 or so digital inputs, and store 25,000 or more time stamped events. The clock and
the memory should be battery backed, and the whole device should be small enough to fit in the bottom of a crowded panel. No analogue inputs are required.

I am looking for an off the shelf solution as I don't have the time to cobble together hardware or write software. A solution involving an "old
PC" would be a very poor one as it would present too many problems fitting it into the available space with most of the machines.

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada
[email protected]

R

Robert R. Stephens Pennzoil Products

I believe the Rustrak Ranger would work. While it is a standard data logger that time stamps events it also has the ability to be programmed to start
capturing data if some threshold event occurs. They are head quartered in Greenich Conn. Their phone number is 401 884 6800.

You may want to look into a UPS. Some have data logging capabilities that dump events into a PC. Also, would provide line filtering maintaining production.

Ralu

J

James Bouchard

Try ACR Systems 604 591 1128 or [email protected]
They have a line of small data loggers about the size of a cigarette pack that you then download to a PC for analysis. They have an 8 channel analog unit that could be used with discrete inputs.

James Bouchard

A

Art Bourdeau

Suggest you look at Genesis TrendWorX32 for your data collection... single user, 75 I/O packages start at $395 to unlimited $2495. They also have this running on Windows CE. More information at www.iconics.com

Regards,
Art Bourdeau
[email protected]
Web: www.bcsco.com
Phone: 518-765-3667
Fax: 518-765-4033
Mobil: 518-573-4745

D

Denis O'Connor

These people may be able to help. Their devices are the size of a cigarette pack and very economical. The only disadvantage is that you may not be able to communicate with them via modems, unless they have upgraded since I last
bought one.

Onset Computer Corp.
470 MacArthur Blvd
Bourne, MA 02532
Tele No: (800) 564-4377

Take a look at their Hobo loggers

Denis O'Connor
Manager of Operations
EUA Cogenex Corp.
Boot Mills South
100 Foot of John Street
Lowell, MA 01852

M

Michael Griffin

Dear Sirs:
I have received several suggestions for a "data logger for events". I have found two genuine compact event loggers. These are devices which time stamp when a digital event occurred (a normal data logger samples an analogue input on a fixed time base).

One is from A.B.I. data (www.abidata.be). It has 8 inputs, and stores up to 8000 time stamped events (DL400-EXT). This is very close to what I need, but 8000 events may not be enough (24000 would be better).

The other is from Onset Computer (www.onsetcomputer.com). This one (HOBO) also stores up to 8000 events, but only has one channel. However, it is so cheap (US$85) that buying several would be an option, although this
wouldn't solve the problem of not enough event storage.

If anyone has any suggestions for any other similar devices, I would appreciate it.

The third option was not actually an event logger, but rather the possibility that a particular conventional data logger could be adapted to serve this purpose. This is the Logic Beach (www.logicbeach.com) ModuLogger Mini. This is programmed via some rather powerful software (Hyperware) which somewhat resembles LabView in its programming style. Although this data logger is not intended for event logging, it does have a large memory capacity (up to 500,000 samples).

The question though is whether the software can be configured to log events. I contacted Logic Beach, but the person I talked to there was not
able to answer this question, and he suggested that I download a demo copy of Hyperware and try it out. Having done so, I haven't found a way to do what I want. Does anyone have any experience with one of these devices?

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada
[email protected]