Portable ultrasonic flowmeters...

D

Dan

We're considering portable ultrasonic flowmeters. Applications will range from clean water to food slurries and wastewater with entrained solids. We intend to use the device to check installed meters and also (and mostly) for data acquisition at points where a permanent flowmeter can't be justified. Data will be for internal maintenance and engineering - custody tranfer and other regulatory requirements are not an issue. I've got literature from Controlotron and Panametrics and it reads well as most sales literature does.

Could any of you share your experiences with these devices? We'll appreciate any tips and suggestions you might have. Merci.

D

david mertens

Hi,
We have used a panametrics device during startup of a steamcracker. The device works well but some care is needed on where and how to install the clamps. Good training is essential and experience is needed. It's better to have one or two people propperly trained to use the instrument rather than basic training for everyone. We also found that lots of extra equipment may be needed to succesfully measure in some cases. The basic kit is only sufficient for the easiest measurements. My advice is to have a technical representive from the company demonstrate the device on your installation and talk to the guy in order to know what your exact needs are before you purchase.

L

Larry Kolbert

Doppler Flow meters are OK for liquids with some solids or air bubbles. For clean liquids, transit time flowmeters are the way to go. Most
manufacturers of sonic flow meters make both. There are those that make combination meters that can automatically switch between modes, checking
literature will show who does that.

Most pipes are suitable for these types of meters. Lined pipes and some stainless steel lines can cause problems. Lined pipes because you can't get through them or there is an air layer between the lining and the metal pipe wall. Concrete lined pipes may have air/gas caused by buildup preventing the unit from working. For stainless steels, some folks have experienced
changing flow with liquid running on the outside of the pipe as sound wave travel down the diameter.

LKolbert

P

Pedro Barandiaràn Huamàn

I recommend you the Turbomagnetics flowmeters (Turbo Mag or Liquid Controls) they are more precise and durable. I have experience in Water, Pulpas Mining Eflentes, Syrups. Pedro
- - -
te recomiendo para estos usos los medidores de Flujo Turbo Magnèticos(Turbo Mag o Liquid Controls)son màs precisos y me alterables que los Ultrasònicos.trabajo en unaesa que tiene experiencia desde las Pulpas Mineras,Aguas Potables,Efluentes jarabes y otros. Suerte. Pedro

P
We have a meter that can measure liquids that are quite dirty even using transit time. In the past this was not possible because of slower
electronics. Using cross-correlation methods we can discard erroneous information

Our meter can also switch to measurement in doppler mode without additional set up or changing transducers.
If you are measuring pipes with Asbestos cement liners , you will need piping information on the liner thicness. This is because it is not
possible to measure the liner with a standard thickness gauge. This does not mean you will not be able to measure flow through the liner. As
long as sound can propogate the pipe wall and liner we can get meaningful results.

Its best to rent out a few brands to see which ones actually perform , as everyone can make claims. We also have a rental program where someone can try our meters