Possible to measure displacement with accelerometer

Hello,

Today i was reviewing some vibration measurements on piping installations; they showed vibration in micron pk-pk.
However this was measured via accelerometer (CSI 2130).

On my knowing you can only convert m/s2 (acceleration) to mm/s (velocity) on a Standard accelerometer?
The software conversion to microns is not thrustworthy?

I know acc/vel/displ is phase linked together. Though on of believes i can only measure vibration pk-pk via proximiter prove?

Thanks in advance

Danji

Better to measure the displacement directly, though you can infer the velocity and displacement amplitudes from the accelerometer data. Instantaneous conversion for pure "sinusoidal vibration" is v=Omega*y, a= Omega*v with Omega=2*pi*freqency. Most advanced vibration monitors will allow you to select, but you have to know or learn how.

What is the frequency and amplitude of the vibrations? Generally if you want to measure misplacement you do so directly, not via integration of an accelerometer output. However, with high frequency small amplitude vibrations it may not be feasible to directly measure displacement. Have a read about inductive proximity sensors. They operate at frequencies up to several kHz and could probably detect down to a resolution of10's of microns. There is also a similar type of sensor (whose name I forget) that works on the same principal but does not have an iron core and can therefore operate at much higher frequencies. Of course you also need a controller that can sample at similarly high frequencies. If you wanted to try both I would be interested in hearing how you get along. Inductive sensors are cheap, you might be able to find one for as little as $30. Also keep in mind that the sampling frequency must be much greater than the vibration frequency.

https://thesensorshack.com/sensors/inductive-proximity-sensors/