Power Monitor 3000 Series B and SLC 5/05 Data Transfers

A

Anonymous

Hello all.

I have been reading AB's manuals and I have found that with a series B Power Monitor you won't be able to read unless you use a CIP type message block. What is the difference between a CIP and a CSP type message block? Can I just use a 500 CPU Read type message block to pull the data across? The type of comm is ethernet as a side note so Ch. 1 out of the SLC.

Thanks in advance for any replies...

E

Eddie Willers

Keep on reading; the information is there in the user manual!

Client-Server Protocol (CSP) is the old A-B Ethernet protocol used by PLC-5E, 1785-ENET, and early SLC-5/05s.

Common Industrial Protocol (CIP) is the new A-B messaging protocol used on EtherNet/IP, ControlNet, and DeviceNet. ControlLogix uses this exclusively.

Newer PLC-5E and SLC-5/05 controllers can perform encapsulated CIP reads and writes, so they can communicate with ControlLogix and with the PowerMonitor 3000 Series B Ethernet firmware.

You will have to use a PLC-5 style message (Series B of the 1404 eliminated SLC-style message support) and set it up as a "multi-hop" message. There's an example on page 4-37 and 4-38 of the user manual.

Hey,

That is exactly what I read, but it didn't make sense to me. Thanks for clearing it up and I will apply accordingly.

J