PPM to Kg/Day conversion

R

Ritika

I Request the experts of this forum to pls help me find the following conversion:

We have stacks that emit flue gases at the rate of 120,000 NCMH. I have SO2 concentration of, say, 2.5 PPM measured at an analyser. How do I calculate the total Kilograms per day of SO2 emissions from the stack.

I searched on Google but couldnt come up with any specific conversion value. Am I missing on some data needed for this conversion?

regards & thanks
Ritika

B

Bruce Durdle

1. What do you mean by NCMH? - what are the base conditions? At 0 degc, 101.3 kPaA, 1 kmol of a gas has a volume of 22.41 m3. This will differ according to the gas laws if another emperature/pressure base is used. V = 22.41 x (T + 273.15)273.15 x 101.325/P.

2. SO2 concentration allows you to work out the flow rate of SO2 in NCMH.

3. MW of SO2 is 64 so from the above 22.41 (or whatever other volume you calculate from 1. above) Nm3 of SO2 has a mass of 64 kg.

So 120,000 x 2.5x10^-6 = 0.3 NCMH is the volume of SO2 emitted. This is 0.3 x 24 = 7.2 NCM/day.

If the base conditions are 0 degc, 101.3 kPaA, this volume gives 7.2/22.41 kmol = .3213 kmol. Converting to mass units, .3213 x 64 kg = 20.56 kg/day.

This is a thumbsuck calculation - you need to get some more accurate values for the actual conditions you are using.

Bruce

R

Radhakrishnan

Could you, please, explain what is NCMH? Is it Normalized Cubic Meters per Hour?

The calculation is simple. You know the flow rate per hour. You know the concentration of SO2 (2.5 parts per million parts of the gas).

Calculate the volume of SO2 emitted per hour.
Multiply the volume by density, you get the mass of SO2 emitted per hour.

Multiply by 24, you get the mass of SO2 per day. If the mass is in grams, divide by 1000 to get kg/day.

Yes. NCHM is Normal Cubic Meters Per Hour. Anyway, Both the posts were helpful. Thanks for replying.

Regards
Ritika

V
Could the forum kindly help me to calculate 46 ppm of CO2 to kg/ hr or day. This is for water treatment industry . A typical procedure is requested.

Thank you
Ved

S
Since PPM is concentration rather than a total amount, you'll have to know the instantaneous mass flow of the fluid (liquid or gas) in which the CO2 is mixed.

For example, if you sample once a minute, and have a mass flow of 10,000 kg/hr and a concentration of 12 ppm, your total CO2 flow for that minute is (12 x 10g)/60, or 2g.

Totalize that number over the course of an hour or a day, and you have the number you're looking for.

B

bob peterson

Presumably this is 46 PPM of CO2 by weight in water.

Water weighs 8.354 pounds per gallon.

So you would have 0.000384 lbs of CO2 per gallon of water.

--
Bob

Morning all,

Could someone help with an issue we have.

We are installing a de-gasser unit to our water system to remove the Co2 that will be in the water from our water treatment plant, we have been advised that the Co2 that will be removed is 4.5kg/h, we need to vent this and are unsure the method of venting, we dont want a pool of Co2 on the ground to kill someone.

We would also like to know the equation to convert Co2kg/h to PPM.

Thanks,