practical instrumentation.

A

ali

i need to know about the sensors, transducers and transmitters used practically as of today on the field for pressure, level, flow, and temperature.

i need this to read and study only those instruments which are useful for today, as the book contain lot of them including unnecessary instruments.

thanks.

B

Bob Peterson

Are you referring to some kind of textbook?

It is probably best for you to get a broad overview of the various technologies rather than focus on what might be considered "practical".

What is practical in one situation is not necessarily practical in others.

The reason all the different kinds and types of instruments exist is because there is a need for them some place.

ali,

This is a very broad question. It would help if you could narrow the question by telling us what industry you are working in.

You say "...the book contain a lot of them including unnecessary instruments...." Which "book" are you referring to?

In my experience, I have found catalogs from manufacturers and industry trade publications (magazines, journals, newsletters, etc.) to be the best place to learn about equipment. If a manufacturer wants me to buy their equipment they are going to tell me why it's better than other similar equipment. And many manufacturers do this. So, there is a wealth of information available, it just takes some sifting through.

And, as for "unnecessary instruments" in the book you are currently using I have two recommendations. One, is that in any plant you work in you are going to find a mix of old and new instrumentation. Even in a completely new facility, you will find that the designers have used "old" instrumentation for various functions. Why? For various reasons, but mostly because they are familiar with older equipment and don't want to take a chance on newer technology, and in some cases the specifications for various equipment dictate "older" equipment be used.

If you feel some piece of equipment in some reference you are currently reading is outdated or obsolete you can just skip reading about it. But, I caution you to remember what was said above. And in addition to that, the more information you have about earlier technologies the better you can understand and troubleshoot newer technologies.

Lastly, everyone who is starting out in any industry faces some of the same obstacles as you are currently facing in your studies/career. It's a fact of life. One has to wade through a lot of extraneous and seemingly unnecessary information to get to what you need to know. It even happens to experienced people when they are expanding their horizon and studies.

So, be patient and go seek trade publications. Unfortunately many of them are going out of publication, or are switching to electronic format on the World Wide Web. But, the information you seek is out there, it's unlikely you will ever find it in a concise format that is completely applicable to your current needs.