Print .SRC (Rung file) in MKV GE

S

Son

Dear Sirs,

I want to print files: SEQ_TRB1.SRC, SEQ_TRB2.SRC, SEQ_AUX.SRC in speadtronic MKV (GE). Please send me instruction to change file .SRC to file .DOC! Thank you very much!

Son,

This is not so easy, unfortunately. If you want to print the entire CSP (which usually includes at least one other CSP segment source file, SEQ_LOAD.SRC) you would need to use the CSP Documentor function to do so. And, when you execute the CSP Documentor, all the necessary "support" files need to be in the proper directories and subdirectories (if you're not running the CSP Documentor on the Mark V operator interface).

Once you create the .PRN files (CSP.PRN and CSP_XREF.PRN) using the CSP Documentor, you can then open them with either MS-Windows Wordpad or MS-Word. You will need to select ALL of each document's text and change the font and font size in order to be able to save the CSP files in a printable .DOC format.

The font you use must be a fixed-pitch font. Courier is a fixed pitch font, but it doesn't have all the necessary characters to be able to replicate the required characters properly. MS Line Draw is another fixed pitch font that works fairly well for converting CSP characters to printable characters. If I recall correctly the font pitch needs to be at least 15 characters per inch, but certainly no less than 12 characters per inch. You will likely need to make the margins of the paper as wide and as tall as possible (unless you are using A4-size paper).

Unfortunately, MS Line Draw is no longer distributed with newer versions of MS-Windows, but is usually available for download off the World Wide Web. GE uses a self-produced font, fp_csp.ttf, which you may be able to find on a GE Mark V HMI (or maybe not; GE is consistently inconsistent about things like this--seemingly innocuous, but important, things like this).

If you ONLY want to print the CSP sections you mentioned, it is still necessary to use the CSP documentor to get them into .PRN files, and then convert them to .DOC files using MS-Wordpad or MS-Word as above. To ONLY print certain CSP sections, you need to first edit MSTR_SEQ.DAT and comment out (using a semicolon at the beginning of the line for the section(s) you do NOT want to print), and then run the CSP documentor. <b>If you do this YOU MUST REMEMBER to edit MSTR_SEQ.DAT and remove the semicolon(s) you inserted. Otherwise the CSP Complier will NOT work correctly in the future--which means the turbine will NOT work correctly in the future.</b> (You have been warned. That's why it's just better to print the entire CSP.)

There is information about the CSP Documentor in the Mark V Maintenance Manual, I believe. It lists the files which must be present in certain directories. You can copy the F:\UNIT1 directory, and the PROM subdirectory to another PC if you want, but you have to maintain the same directory and subdirectory structure--meaning, you can put the UNIT1 files in a directory of your choice and name but the PROM subdirectory MUST exist "below" the directory where the UNIT1 files are located and it MUST be named PROM. You would also copy the CSP Documentor file from the G:\EXEC directory of the Mark V operator interface to the "UNIT1" directory, then exit to a command (DOS) prompt and run the CSP Documentor from the command line.

Unfortunately, the CSP Documentor for the early Mark V operator interface (called the <I>) has a different name than the one provided with the MS-Windows version of the Mark V operator interface (called the GE Mark V HMI). One of them is call SEQ_DOCMT.EXE (the <I> version, if I recall correctly); and I can't remember the name of the MS-Windows GE Mark V HMI, unfortunately. It's been too long since I've used a CSP Documentor.

The CSP Documentor inserts a special character, an ankh, I believe, that HP-LaserJet II-compatible printers (and many others back in the day of manufacturer-produced printer drivers) recognized as a form feed (to eject the current piece of paper and start printing on the next). You will need to find all occurrences of the ankh character and replace them with page breaks (in MS-Windows, usually a CTRL+ENTER key combination).

This will take some doing; probably the better part of a couple of days if you don't have much experience with Mark V operator interfaces, command line executables, and trial-and-error to convert the .PRN files to .DOC files that will allow the files to be printed properly. Expect some mis-steps; it's not for the faint of heart.

Finally, if you are going to try to run the CSP Documentor an an early <I> Mark V operator interface--don't. It will take an excruciatingly long time to do so. If you think you must run the CSP Documentor on the <I>, at least stop IDOS by typing the following command at a DOS prompt and then pressing ENTER:

IDOSEXIT

Be aware that when you do this, the <I> is no longer capable of communicating with Mark V control panel(s). When you are finished creating the CSP files with the CSP Documentor, you will need to re-start IDOS; the easiest way to do this is to just re-boot the PC either with the power switch on the CPU or by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL. Exiting IDOS and re-booting the CPU will have NO effect on turbine operation. NONE.

And, one more thing if it isn't obvious from the previous paragraph: It is NOT necessary to be running IDOS (or TCI on the MS-Windows-based GE Mark V HMI to run the CSP Documentor).

Hope this helps!

A step-by-step procedure for printing only certain CSP segment source files would be very lengthy. And we don't know what kind of Mark V operator interface you have (<I> or GE Mark V HMI). So, if you need more help, try to put together your own procedure, copy it to this thread, and we can correct or modify any steps as long as you tell us what kind of operator interface you have and if you will be copying the files/directories to another MS-Windows PC.

Hope this helps!