problem getting data out from RSlinx Classic via OPC

D

dinster

hi all

i have RSView32 as my HMI. It talks to my Flexlogic PLC via RSlinx OPC server (DA 2.05 protocol).

Now i need to get the OPC data out to 3rd party historian.

1st thing 1st, using Matrikon OPC Explorer i tried to browse and see "live" tags - i seems cant be able to find the correct tags.

There's about 1000+ tags and all of this are rubbish tags.

It seems that it is the one which is used by RSView32.

Pls help..

B

Bob Peterson

You may have a version of RsLinx that does not actually have OPC capability other than with other AB products.

RSView32 can also act as an OPC server. You have to turn that option on in the startup options. You may be able to access whatever data you want that way.

A

Andrey Romanenko

Hello,

You may consider to try Plantstreamer to get the list of tags and to look for the tags of your interest. We have developed Plantstreamer to save process data in a database (as a historian), but you can use it to see live data. For that you do not even need to install the database. Plantstreamer is open-source and can be obtained from www.ciengis.com/plantstreamer

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Andrey Romanenko
Ciengis - Advanced Process Control and Optimization

T

Trevor Ousey

Hi,
You need to have RSLinx PRO or Gateway versions to work with a third party client. The PRO version will only work if the client and server are on the same machine. RSView32 can also be an OPC server if that helps you.

Regards,
Trevor.

Hi bob,

1. My RSlinx version is RSlinx Classic Professional 2.5 (CPR7).

2. I'm not aware that RSView32 can also act as OPC server. I think I've explored all possible settings but couldn't find anything related to OPC features during startup.

Anyway my RSView32 version is RSView32 Runtime 1500 7.20 (CPR 7).

I've also 2 add-ons:

- Messenger 2.12
- Trendx 3.42

Please help.

A

Andrey Romanenko

Hello,

I am glad you found Plantstreamer interesting. Currently it does not support MySQL because in fact this software is a module of a bigger system where the size of the database is a factor and the data integrity is very important. I believe PostgreSQL may be somewhat slower than MySQL but it is has more features that we need.

I guess it should not be very difficult to make it work with MySQL. If you need a customized MySQL based solution, please contact us. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Andrey Romanenko
andrey(at)ciengis(dot)com
Ciengis - Advanced Process Control and Optimization

B

Bob Peterson

I am not sure you can enable OPC server with a runtime only version. If you could, it would be on the start up options tab.

We have multiple instances of Rockwell systems talking to various data historians including PI and IP.21.

We use RSLinx Gateway (various versions up to and including 2.5) as the OPC link rather than RSView SCADA variants.

Setup consists of configuring the OPC topic in RSLinx and then configuring the OPC Interfaces provided by the historian vendors to point at those topics.

Consult the white papers at http://www.opcti.com for troubleshooting for general OPC or drop me a line at graham. burnikell at intuitive. uk. com if you have any specific questions with regard to configuring OPC connections to data historians.

Regards,

Burnikell