Problem with HIMA H51 PLC

• Thread starter Virendra Kiran Gajula
  • Start date
V

Virendra Kiran Gajula

Dear Sir,

On 23.06.2010, at 16:41 hrs., one of our Ammonia Plants got tripped due to PLC-1 (H51-HS) problem. The sequence of events and observations made are as follows:

1). Initially, the following diagnostic displays were noticed on the CUs of the PLC:

1308, 1309, 1310
1407, 1408, 1409, 1410
1501, 1502, 1503, 1509, 1510, 1511, 1512 (non-redundant)
2201, 2205, 2206, 2207, 2208
2301, 2305, 2306, 2307, 2308
All these are connected with Digital Inputs only.

2). Checked the detailed error indication menu in ELOP and found NO ERROR connected with this incident.

3). Checked HZ-PA1-1 building block in ELOP and following was observed:
Fault Mask: 4 (Hardware Watchdog)
I/O Fault: H (Multiple errors)
Faulty position 1 I/O bus: 1308

4). Acknowledged the errors on CU-2. Errors got reset on both the CUs and RUN indication appeared.

5). However, within few minutes, CU-2 has gone to STOP mode. CU-1 was in MONO mode.

6). Within a minute or two, CU-1 also gone to STOP mode. Checked the detailed error indication menu in ELOP and found some of the messages like 187 in CU-2.

7). Tried to RUN the PLC from ELOP with 'Alt+F1' command but in vain. Hence reloaded the latest backup in both the CUs. Subsequent attempt to RUN the PLC has failed and both the CUs have continued to be in STOP mode.

8). Then loaded the program in CU-1 and succeeded in taking it into RUN mode. Display on CU-1 was MONO.

9). Suspecting that CU-2 (F8620/11 Module) to have gone defective, replaced it with spare one. Reloaded the program and is found to be normal.

10). Since this PLC is for a critical service (Shutdown System of Ammonia Plant), replaced the CU-1 as well with another spare one. Loaded the program and redundancy checks were carried out successfully between these CUs.

11)After that plant was running normal with new CUs

You are requested to kindly go through these details and analyze so that the root cause of the problem could be identified at the earliest.

We are available for providing any other information required to facilitate a thorough analysis and taking up all control measures to avoid recurrence of such problems. It may please be noted that NFCL has another four such PLCs (H51-HS) and two numbers H41 PLCs.

I WOULD BE VERY HAPPY IF ANYONE CAN THROW SOME LIGHT ON THIS ISSUE AND HELP ME OUT

G VIRENDRA KIRAN
Manager - Instrumentation
Nagarjuna Fertilizers and Chemicals Limited, Kakinada INDIA 533 003

S

Samran Wadood Syed

We are also using HIMA H-51 at Ammonia/Urea Fertilizer Plants. Unfortunately we experienced the same problem of Inputs cards failure (F-3225) in March 2009 but our CPU's remained ok. We have CPU's F-8620/4 in redundant configuration but I/O's are single.
We had similar alarms on CPU display showing error in input modules and on Acknowledged it reset and RUN appears on CPU's no error in ELOP display.

On checking 5Vdc on backplane of I/O racks found low in some case 4.7Vdc where as it should be minimum 4.8Vdc. We then improved voltage levels and so far problem did not appear. We also incorporated Noise blinking status in HZ-PA1-1, it gives system to tolerate nuisance faults. This feature was added in Firmware by HIMA in 1999.

I can share the complete report of this incident plus other HIMA incidents, if you like.

Best regards,

Samran Wadood Syed
Assistant Manager Instrument
FAUJI FERTILIZER COMPANY LTD.
Goth Machhi, Sadiqabad
Pakistan

V

VIRENDRA KIRAN

Dear Mr.Samran ,

Thanks for your response. but in our case 5V dc Power supply is quite okay.

We had sent our Faulty CPU to HIMA, Germany for Fault analysis.

Please share the reports of this case and other HIMA Issues. send it to my email ID: gvirendrakiran [at] gmail.com

Thank you
Regards
Virendra Kiran G
Manager - Instrumentation & Control
Nagarjuna Fertilizers and Chemicals Ltd
INDIA