Problem with Lantronix ComPort redirector

V

Victor Zaltsman

I use Lantronix UDS-10 device server to connect CIMPLICITY server (Win-2000) with FirstPage software to UniPage (Motorola) paging system via Ethernet.
Lantronix ComPort redirector utility is used to emulate COM5 serial port on CIMPLICITY server and configured as a service to allow "unattended" execution.
Everything works fine while a user is logged into the server. However upon logout the connection between CIMPLICITY and UDS-10 is dropped. The redirector service is still running (checked using remote Computer management), however the connection to UDS-10 cannot be re-established until a user (doesn't matter, which one) will login back to the server.

I have two ideas of unknown value:

1. Does the Redirector run as a true Windows service? One thing you can look at is see if it's configured to Log On using Local System account or a specific user. You can try changing this, for example if it's using Local System, try using an administrator username and password, then restart the service. If you're not familiar with this, go to Control Panel...Services, double-click on the service if you can find it.

2. Not sure if this is an option, but the Lantronix units are relatively cheap; you could pick up another UDS then your paging software would work with a "real" serial port. I've noticed a few software packages that don't work well with the redirector.

Good luck!

Jim

V

Victor Zaltsman

Thanks, Jim.

I've contacted Lantronix - they have a patch, which resolves this issue - already tested it on Development machine and it seems to work properly.

We've tried to play with service's configuration unsuccessfully. What we did not try - to confugure the FirstPage service to run on behalf of Local Admin (as I understand from Lantronix answer, it does matter who is trying to access the Redirector - admin or non-admin).
Anyway, now the problem seems to be resolved.

Regards,
Victor

I am doing something similar, attempting to start an application without user intervention and seeing the same result, with only success after logging in. When I called Lantronix, the individual that I talked to did not know how to resolve it. I also attempted assigning the service to run with rights from a local administrator as well as a network administator without success. Could you post the Lantronix contact information, the person you spoke with, so I could also receive the patch. Otherwise could you post it somewhere I could retrieve it or email it as an attachment?

Thanks,
Brad
[email protected]