Profibus and AB SLC 5/05

K

Kris

We have an application where using standard AB solutions would include a RIO scanner and a DeviceNet scanner in the rack. Our ABB rep said to use their Profibus remote IO and to order the drives with Profibus. This would clean up the rack as well as provide a higher baud rate for communications. Has anyone used the SST Profibus scanner for AB SLC processors in an application like this, and has it been a good experience.

We'll have 9 Remote IO scanners on the network with a 4 channel analog input module and a 8 channel DC input module at each location. This will be in addition to 14 local ABB ACS600 drives on the network as well. Am concerned about scan times with the M1 M0 file programming required.

Thanks In Advance
Kris

P

Peter Nachtwey

> We have an application where using standard AB solutions would include a RIO > scanner and a DeviceNet scanner in the rack. Our ABB rep said to use their
> Profibus remote IO and to order the drives with Profibus. This would clean up > the rack as well as provide a higher baud rate for communications. Has anyone > used the SST Profibus scanner for AB SLC processors in an application like
> this, and has it been a good experience.

Yes, they work well.
I used the I and O files with 32 words in and 32 words out on a motion control project. I only need about 8 registers in and out so I had no problems.

> We'll have 9 Remote IO scanners on the network with a 4 channel analog input > module and a 8 channel DC input module at each location. This will be in
> addition to 14 local ABB ACS600 drives on the network as well. Am concerned
> about scan times with the M1 M0 file programming required.

I too would be concerned about scan time when using M0 and M1. They best way to use the M1 and M0 files is to use a COP block to copy the M1 to a N file at the beginning of the scan and copy a N file to M0 at then end of the scan. This first access to the M files takes about a millisecond. The analog and digital data is not that great and the COP at the beginning and end of scans will handle that. The question is can the I/O for the drive fit in the 32 words of I/O on the SST-PFB-SLC. If not consider two or more SST-PFB-SLC.

N
Hi Kris and Others,

We have used the SST profibus scanner in SLC 5/04 racks with Mixed I/O (some
are Analogs)10 slot racks with no RIO. I use the Profibus scanner to
communicate with single Siemens 6RA24 DC drive. At this stage we only
"monitor" the drives and pass data back via the SLC to our SCADA system the
real drive control is still by the PLC discrete I/O and the Analogs. It
takes time to convince some people to get out of there old ways!

I can't comment on your SCAN time issues with the M0/M1 files all our data
is mapped by the SST into the I/O files on the AB
rather than the M0/M1 files I'm not sure weather you can do this or not ?.
After the initial learning curve on profibus (which I've now forgot most of)
I found the SST module quite easy to set up and use. Only had one email to
SST which was answered promptly. Ours is perhaps a fairly simple application
perhaps some others have some more detailed knowledge!

If you want more info email me directly.

regards,

Neil Firmin
Technical Officer
Yallourn Energy pty ltd
mailto:[email protected]