Profibus and ControlNet

B

Bill Code

This question is not my idea. I ask it after reading the requirements in an RFQ. The requirement is to use Siemens PLCs and to communicate to MCCs having internal ControlNet networks for VFDrives and DeviceNet networks for
electromagnetic starters.

I do not want to get into a debate about the
philosophy of this design. I am asking if anyone
has built something like this before. And if
anyone knows of hardware to bridge Profibus and
ControlNet and bridge Profibus and DeviceNet.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Bill.

Hello Bill;

Here is an extract from the Anybus X-Gateway for Profibus-DP and Controlnet:
Profibus Master - ControlNet Adapter/Slave

The Anybus X-gateway copies I/O-data in both directions thus enabling data exchange between the two networks. Default I/O configuration is 20 bytes Input and 20 bytes Output. Changing default settings is very simple and is carried out using the RS232 configuration port and a standard terminal interface on a PC, such as Hyper Terminal for Windows. The Anybus-M Profibus-DP interface supports connection of up to 125 slaves at baudrates up to 12 Mbit/s. The Profibus configuration is defined with NetTool-PB, the windows based configuration software for Profibus from HMS (purchased as a separate accessory). The Profibus interface module is certified by the Profibus user organization and has proven conformance and interoperability with leading manufacturers of I/O, drives, instruments etc Configuration is downloaded to the module via the RS232 configuration port. The ControlNet interface is implemented according to the ControlNet international specification for a Communication adapter (profile number 12). A connection to the AnyBus-S ControlNet module can be opened from a ControlNet scanner. The size of the connection can be up to 450 bytes in each direction.

Here is a link to more info:
http://www.anybus.com/products/products.asp?PID=134&ProdType=Anybus X-gateway

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

V
Hi Bill,
This is very obvious technology being used nowdays, due to availability of many open protocols like profibus, fieldbus, controlnet etc,. Anyways u didnt mention the protocol in which Siemens PLC will be communication (normally it is profibus Dp).

The configurations your are talking about is feasible with required protocol conversion card. Like drives if communicating on devicenet can be converted to profibus dp by a converter (like provided by red lion). Similarly for control net.
But for a automation on whole minimal protocol conversion is recommended as it cause lot many troubles.