Profibus/FMS in IEC-61158 ?

R

Rob Hulsebos

Hello fellow-experts on IEC-61158,

Upon reading the "type 3" part (= Profibus) of the 61158 I noticed that it was only DP mentioned here. What happened to the FMS part of Profibus? Is this "To be written" for the 61158, or is it unofficially declared dead? (or did I just miss some 600+ pages hidden inbetween the thousands of pages of text...)

Greetings,
Rob Hulsebos

Hi All

No FMS is not dead at all, it is just not as frequently used as the DP which services remote I/O more easily than FMS. FMS is intended or has become more commonly applied to links such as SCADA hook ups to the PLC and is well supported, if not favoured by systems such as Citect for its speed and simplicity.

Regrads
Donald Pittendrigh

R

Rob Hulsebos Philips CFT

>No FMS is not dead at all, it is just not as frequently used
>as the DP which services remote I/O more easily than
>FMS. FMS is intended or has become more commonly
>applied to links such as SCADA hook ups to the PLC
>and is well supported, if not favoured by systems such
>as Citect for its speed and simplicity.

Right, the market-share data shows that DP is much more popular than FMS. But not have FMS as part of the 61158 would mean that the Profibus User's Group didn't want to spend effort to rewrite the spec for the 61158, and that could only mean that it is no longer seen as useful.
I am especially triggered by such signals because on a presentation from Profibus Switzerland it was stated that FMS should either be modified, or be made obsolete. (btw, the www.profibus.ch site is one of the most interesting local sites I've seen - seems to have much more information than the www.profibus.com site).

Back to the original issue. Let me share what I've learned so far. On the Profibus email list, someone responded to my same question: that FMS is part of the IEC 61158 type 1 (= Foundation
Fieldbus), so it is now that a part of Profibus is covered under the FF specification. And since Interbus also implements FMS-style messages, it appears that the whole of FMS is to be taken out of 61158 type 1 and will be transferred to a new
61158 type 9 substandard, covering FMS-for-FF, FMS-for-Profibus, and FMS-for-Interbus, and that volunteers are needed to write this.

So I'm now diving into the type 1 spec ....

J

Juergen Schmoll

Hello,

FMS is part of IEC 61158: 2000!
It is included in type 1. But unfortunately a lot of other protocol and services are mixed in type 1.

In December 1999 IEC installed a working group to write communication profiles based on IEC 61158. This working group IEC SC65C WG1 (Project # IEC
61784) specifies the subsets of IEC 61158. Four communication systems want to make references on FMS (type 1): PROFIBUS, Foundation Fieldbus, INTERBUS and SwiftNet. Based on first experience, the WG1 have made a proposal to amend IEC 61158 with FMS as type 9 to allow an easy reference from the communication profiles.

All experts who want to spend time to write an IEC conform PROFIBUS FMS specification are invited to send to me a contribution indication. I will co-ordinate the work to achieve a better readable PROFIBUS-FMS specification in IEC.

Regards

Ludwig Winkel
--------------------------------------------------------------
Siemens AG, A&D PT2 FBC
Siemensallee 84
D-76181 Karlsruhe, Germany
Tel.: ++ 49(721)595-6098
Fax: ++ 49(721)595-4938
EMail: [email protected]
--------------------------------------------------------------