Profibus PA configuration tool?

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I'm looking for a Profibus PA Configuration tool, much like the handheld ASI addressing tools that Siemens, etc. make. I need to address PA devices without connecting them to a live network, so I'm either looking at a handheld tool or something that will connect to laptop much like a HART modem... any suggestions?

D

Daniel Chartier

Look at Siemens PDM (requires a CP5512 (PCMCIA cardfor Profibus) or similar Profibus-DP interface for computer, or E+H Fieldcare (requires Filedgate Ethernet to Profibus converter; uses FDT/DTM); we use both in our projects, depending on the client.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

J
I personally do not recall ever seeing a laptop interface that is PROFIBUS-PA 'direct'. The laptop interfaces (PCMCIA or USB) are all PROFIBUS-DP so you need to connect on the DP side of the coupler.

Subsequently you are looking for PROFIBUS software in general, not specifically "PA"

I have not seen any handhelds like those for HART or FF-H1

In my personal opinion, when you get a software, make sure is supports EDDL (http://www.eddl.org) so that you can access all the information and diagnostics etc. in the device.

Cheers,
Jonas

I realy prefer Hart 4-20 Ma it is easier
Almost of Profibus devices are not able to configure from display ,need to connect a laptop to configure the addresse

I recently used the Softing MobiLink handheld communicator with a paid license to talk to Foundation Fieldbus transmitters (needed a separate FF power supply). That same MobiLink is capable of Profibus PA communication with a Profibus license.