Profibus to Modbus

B

Brendan Kirby

To All,

I'm looking for a Gateway that would convert Profibus to Modbus and/or other serial protocols. I'm looking to spend <$500 . Are these devices out there yet?

thanks in advance,
(ttfn)
brendan kirby
[email protected]

R
List Management Account wrote:To All,

> I'm looking for a Gateway that would convert Profibus to Modbus and/or other
> serial protocols. I'm looking to spend <$500 . Are these devices out there yet?
>

Yet? Both these protocols have been around for a few years.

For about $500 you might just about be able to get the S7-200 'DP' PLC. This has a profibus port and a RS485 port which is capable of implementing the Modicon protocol. The PLC is quite powerfull, but the gotcha is that software has to be developed using the pretty, yet hopelessy incompetent, MicroWin 7.0 package. No wonder that it is the only dev package that Siemens give away for free!

BTW, anybody know of alternatives for programming the 200's?

D
Synergetic has a "Everything" protocol converter, but I believe it is more than $500.00.

Good Luck,

David Wylde

B

Brett Jacobson Hitec Drilling & Marine

Siemens makes a Profibus DP<->RS-232 Gateway module (standalone module), but it's around $600+.
Part #6ES7 158-0AA010XA0

Brett Jacobson

M

Mike Milton, CCA

Actually, the last version of Microwin to come out was 3.02. I have just gotten a copy of the newest version 3.1 and I love it. It does what it is supposed to and it has some really nice new features.

Mike Milton
CCA Raleigh