Profibus with a SLC 500?

R

R Vaughan

Customer dropped off their auction winnings and asked us to use as much as possible. Ended up with a SLC 5/04 and Profibus valve and I/O blocks. Through a few message boards I've learned we need a Profibus scanner to translate, and the one recommended was the Molex 1120160022, (which used to be sold under Brad/SST label as SST-PB3-SLC and before that under SST as SST-PFB-SLC).

Now, I've never worked with Profibus. How are Profibus devices addressed? When the scanner translates it to the SLC, how will the SLC see it? How do we address/read the Profibus signals inside the PLC Program?

B

bob peterson

I truly feel sorry for you. I think the Molex part may well be your best answer but they are not real cheap, and I bet you don't find them on eBay at any bargain prices.

--
Bob

S
> Now, I've never worked with Profibus. How are Profibus devices addressed? When the scanner translates it to the
> SLC, how will the SLC see it? How do we address/read the Profibus signals inside the PLC Program?

To the SLC program, it will just look like the SST module has a boatload of I/O attached directly to it, so it's very easy to utilize in your program. The SLC RIO scanner, IIRC has a similar mode if your remote I/O will fit.

The SST card comes with a configuration program that allows you to set comm parameters and map the remote I/O node(s) to address locations in the card's I/O image, very much like configuring a Devicenet scanner with RSNetworx. You may need to download GSD files (the Profibus equivalent to EDS files) to describe the remote node hardware in this config step, but if so, the manufacturer of the nodes (valve banks, remote I/O racks, etc.) will provide them to you, generally for free download.

> Now, I've never worked with Profibus. How are Profibus devices addressed? When the scanner translates it to the
> SLC, how will the SLC see it? How do we address/read the Profibus signals inside the PLC Program?

You address it through the SST Profibus configuration software.