pros and cons of different ethernet protocols

A

Atul Ainapure

Recently I came across EtherNet/IP connected Explicit messagng and connected implicit messaging.

Can I know the pro's and con's of each of following ethernet protocols/buses :
1. EtherCAT
2. EtherNet/IP
3. Ethernet Powerlink
4. SERCOS III

versus, of course Modbus/TCP.

I am interested in knowing the real time communication of Alarms, diagnostic message and time stamped data. And also the synchronisation using GPS etc.

I need to understand these and other ,most effective protocols to connect the PLC I/O modules and RTU's, Data Concentrators, System Controllers, Fast Digital signal processor based control boards etc

Regards
Atul

J
The pros and cons of different Ethernet solutions depends very much on the application. Each solution has its relative merits. Some are extremely fast suitable for motion control, others are better equipped for process control and asset management.

So what is your application? Are you doing:
- Motion control
- Machinery control
- Process control

Which industry:
- Automotive
- Paper
- Refining

Let us know some of these details the list can suggest a solution.

If your application is process control, such as in a refinery, then I would say Foundation fieldbus(tm) HSE is the best way to go. HSE has the best solution for redundancy, to support process control, to integrate package units, and to enable asset management of underlying instruments. It supports system-wide time-stamped alarms synchronized from GPS using SNTP - including package units.

To learn about industrial Ethernet in general and HSE in particular, take a look at the yellow book "Fieldbuses for Process Control: Engineering, Operation, and Maintenance" buy online:
http://www.isa.org/fieldbuses

Jonas Berge
SMAR
===========
[email protected]
www.smar.com
Learn fieldbus and Ethernet at your own pace: www.isa.org/fieldbuses
Learn OPC and automation software at your own pace: www.isa.org/autosoftware