Quantum PLC and Magelis XBTG Communications

O

og

Hi everyone,

I have a question. I am planning to have a Quantum PLC (140 CPU 65150 with built-in ethernet) and a total of 16 Magelis XBT GT6330 touch screen operator panels (with ethernet port) connected to the ethernet network.

What I want to do is that each of the operator panels to have access to the PLC and read/write data. Is that possible? How many operator panels can be connected to the Quantum PLC over the ethernet network? Or is there any other limitation?

Thanks in advance.

regards,
OG

As far as I am aware, the only limitation is on the Ethernet side. You can have as many HMIs as you want until you run out of IP addresses. The big problem you will have is the writing function. I'll put it to you this way, what if two people on different HMIs change the value of the same variable?

Actually each XBTG will be located in a different location of the plant and display the local portion of the process. So, they will not have access to the same values.

So, let me ask you this. Reading and Writing funtion for the XBTG is configured within the XBTG's program? or do I have to do I/O scanning kind of configuration in the Quantum?

I appreciate your response.

best regards,
OG

There is an excellent feature of the XBTGT series of HMIs called Data Sharing.

Here, only 1 HMI reads/writes data to the actual ethernet port of the plc, and the remainder are networked to share data among themselves. The operator of any HMI would not be able to tell which was connected direct to the PLC.

Typically, the HMI would act as the Master, and read/write info to/from the plc. Once again, another excellent feature of the XBTGT series can be configured as a Modbus slave...you can then push data programmatically out of the PLC to the HMI.

Hope this helps,
MikeD