Question on Procidia

D

David Hammer

Hello

I have been seeing some ads on the new Internet based Procidia software by Moore Automation Solutions. They don't have a demo CD for me to play with. Has anyone used this software. Is it good/bad/worthwhile? Any input is welcome.

Thanks in advance for your replies
David Hammer

S

Steven Busbee

I recently had a demonstration of this product by a local vendor. The controller is based on their earlier "smart" controllers, just places the i/o and controller into a nice little package. the
programming software was pretty nice (function block) and creating a HMI after your logic was a breeze. (Almost automatic)

The HMI graphic package is Genesis (Iconics) so if you are familiar with that package, it shouldn't be that hard to learn the new product.

The pricing is only available at the web site. I price compared to a SLC system quote that I had just purchased, and it came in just under the SLC. Some real money savings may come in the
development time. I don't know this for a fact...

The salesman did offer to leave a unit for a few days and let me play with it, but I turned it down due to the fact that we are standardized on the AB platform.

The only real concern that I had with the product is the V1.0 on the system that I was shown. I generally don't jump off into a new product at version 1.

If you can find a local rep, invite them over and kick the tires. This may end up being a true competitor of the small PLC systems.

G

Gillingham Household

Hi David,
I have seen and worked with the Procidia software. It is really awesome ! There are preconfigured, auto populating screens for the loops and a very powerful set of animation, HMI and SCADA tools. I know they have some big chemical plants using it. They have a website at
www.procidia.com

Chuck

R

R A Peterson

If you only care about price of hardware (and programming software), there are PLC systems that are much less expensive then AB. Siemens and PLC Direct (now Automation Direct) come to mind.

If you care about development time, think a lot before switching to an non-plc system. despite all the claims and marketing hype, it is very
difficult to save money on development costs. the real money in development is figuring out how all the stuff works and being able to then reuse it. Particularly for smaller projects (<200 I/O) I don't think you will find anything better then a PLC for development time.

What you will find is that the programming software you use makes a big difference in the time it takes to enter the code, but this is a very small part of the time used. The biggest part of the time used is in figuring out how the stuff has to work together. That time will be the same regardless of the hardware or software used.

i can't tell you there is no benefit in larger I/O count projects (>1000 I/O). The fact is that when you get to those size projects you typically
have to have multiple engineers involved. Some development environments allow for easier reuse of code and meshing of code from multiple engineers.
This is not the environment you find SLCs in though.

J
I'm interested in the comments below. I am about to launch on a development project which will attempt to save 'serious' money on development of small-to-mid sized projects. (i.e. 100 - 1000 I/O). Does anyone have experience in development of non-PLC controls that could give me some advice on how to proceed?

John Vales

> ----------
> From: [email protected][SMTP:[email protected]]

(snip)

>If you care about development time, think a lot before switching to an non-plc system. despite all the claims and marketing hype, it is very difficult to save money on development costs. the real money in development is figuring out how all the stuff works and being able to then reuse it. Particularly for smaller projects (<200 I/O) I don't think you will find anything better then a PLC for development time. ...<

At 02:20 PM 1/4/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>------- Forwarded message follows -------
>From: [email protected]
I have used Opto-22 Mistic controls in the past for small process control
applications. They were very easy to use and had good performance. Check
them out at http://www.opto22.com
Bill Sturm
Applied Grinding Technologies

M

Matthew da Silva

Paul Gruhn states the obvious but avoids an even more obvious implication of this event -- how about vendors of control systems looking for licenses only for Procidia's software parts? Moore Products, traditionally a controller manufacturing company, is now emerging from its hardware-oriented background with fresh sneakers, possigly, due to benign influences emanating from Don Bogle and Ed Hurd -- both of whom having had the presence of mind to abandon Honeywell IAC before the wobble in Honeywell's tripod grew to be noticeable. Procidia has a rather more solid-looking package and a nice Internet persona which demonstrates many of the the good things that corporations should have learned about marketing on the Internet since five years ago. Less appealing, to me, are MyPlant's screens that seem to have been designed by 19-year-olds with perfect eyesight and hours of free time.

Ouch! Can I say that?

Apologies go to those hard-working netizens who invested so much effort into producing MyPlant though I wonder, is anyone using it to get information about automation and control?

Regards,
Matthew da Silva
Yamatake Tokyo
http://www.ycv.com

V

Vivivan Newman

I Have just recently completed a Bulk Blend skid project using Procidia ( Iware) solution. The project was Analog loop heavy and even had a complicated batch type control structure. The Procidia controller is based on a proven local controller and incorporated several FCOs ( Factory Configured Option loops). After the
controller configuration was completed and downloaded with this very intuitive configuration tool, at the touch of a button I automatically generated not only the HMI ( Iconics)Modbus OPC database; But get this. It also generated standard group faceplates for all control loops. This allowed me to check and commission the system within 20 minuets after loading the configuration. Fancy graphics came later. The controller supports a graphic Function Block and Ladder diagrams for configuration. Similar to a full blown system. The savings in engineering time and time to commissioning is unbelievable. The HMI is modular( based on tag count/Trending/Historical trending/Alarming
etc...); all these packages can run standalone, so that one can purchase what ever package is needed as its needed without wasting precious funds on an over blown HMI. The package is extremely attractive as a scaleable analog intensive solution and tremendous engineering savings can be realize. This package is definitely worth looking at.

Vance Newman
Field Rep.