Questions on water treatment instrumentation

S

Siamak Tavakolie

I have some questions for designing monitoring and instruemnt system of a waste water treatment. If you have answers or know references for them please reply me in this site, or E-mail me to the following address:

[email protected]

QUESTIONS:

1- What is the best way for measuring the level of sludge in sedimentation basins?

2- What are the most important variables to be measured in waste water treatment plants?

3- Is it necessary to make real time measurement for the quantity of phosphate, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia in such plants?

Thanks a lot.

B

Bob Peterson

>1- What is the best way for measuring the level of sludge in sedimentation basins?
>

This is highly dependant on your definition of "best". To many people "best" is lowest cost (lowest installed cost, lowest price, etc.). To others it is ease of use and reliability. To some it is accuracy and/or precision. Generally this type of measurement does not require a great deal of accuracy (i.e.- if it is a few inches off its unlikely to matter all that much), so I'd be inclined to go with something simple that is likely to be reliable.

>2- What are the most important variables to be measured in waste water treatment plants?

This is really not a control issue, but one of process design. The people that design your waste treatment process will be able to tell you this. No one here even knows what kind of waste water you are even talking about, much less what processes you are using to treat your waste water. Could be sewage, could be industrial waste, could be storm run off.

>3- Is it necessary to make real time measurement for the quantity of phosphate, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia in such plants?

Generally - yes, but they don't have to be online. You could pay a lab tech to do grab samples and do the testing manually in your water lab. This approach can be especially cost effective in third world places where environmental regulations are not real stringent, record keeping is not considered all that important, and wages are low.