Radio communication for PROFIBUS?

• Thread starter Danijel Vidoviè
  • Start date
D

Danijel Vidoviè

Hallo! I have one application which is rotating. My first idea was that i could use the Infrared Link Modules (ILM-s), but this solution fails because there was some obstacles between modules. My question is if there is any radio communication for PROFIBUS? What about running the PROFIBUS cable via slip ring ? Any Ideas?

K

Kai Atle Myrvang

Hi list readers, here are some inputs: > I have one application which is rotating. My first idea was that i > could use the Infrared Link Modules (ILM-s), but this solution fails > because there was some obstacles between modules. > > My question is if there is any radio communication for PROFIBUS? Today, there are solutions offering radio-link using PROFIBUS, but maybe the better solution is to have a radio-link providing the communication for the real data in use on the rotating part, and not the whole PROFIBUS communication. Better use of limited bandwith. Such a solution is offered by Micro-Control, a norwegian company. Have a look at www.micro-control.no for more info. > What about running the PROFIBUS cable via slip ring ? Has been done at several installations. Be aware that the slip ring MUST be designed for low-voltage signal levels, and since probability of error is higher, it might be a good idea to reduce bus speed and increase retry count. wish you success with the installation, Kai Atle Myrvang ---- Kai Atle Myrvang ([email protected]) AD Elektronikk AS P.O.Box 641, N-1401 Ski, Norway Tel: +47 6497 6060 Direct: +47 6497 6066 Fax: +47 6497 6070 http://www.ade.no

The best way for this tricky application is Optical networking. It is expensive but it is very reliable.

I have done an application with Profibus communication between PLC and remote I/O station using optical fibre network over a cable reeling drum.

This was a special cable reeling drum manufactured by Delachaux,France where
the cable has power as well as optical cores.

The power cables are tapped by the conventional slip rings but for the optical cores there is a special prism assembly with a rotating disc by which you can have a continuous non interrupted optical link.

Performance is fantastic.

I think you can get the optical stuff also as a standalone product

More info on www.delachaux.de

K
Answers to the questions

1) radio profibus can be achieved by using a RDT modem that works up to speeds of 12MB.

2) For using slip ring Siemens make a power rail booster that works very well in this application.