Rain water level sensor

A

Anonymous

Hello, I am new to the forum here and if my question is bothersome I apologize in advance.

The basics of my dilema are: the building I work for has a large basin for collecting rain runoff, etc. in the 3rd floor basement. If this overflows, cleanup is a real mess, so I would like to be forewarned so we can start pumping it out before it overflows. I would like to attach a sensor to the wall inside the basin at the desired water level height to detect the water rise and connect this to a computer so it can E-mail, or text message me and others when the rise occurs. I am unsure what kind of sensor I would need (I have seen some online that would work, but am not sure how to connect them for my purpose) and whether I would need a relay or not. Also, how would I get this relay info into the program so it can send out the emails? I would like to be able to use our network (TCP/IP) to get it into the computer since it is 2 levels above the basin and not sure if serial would travel that far reliably? The sensors I have seen online are here: http://homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductZoom.asp?productID=1075 and here: http://homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductZoom.asp?productID=608 I am not adverse to making a simple sensor either if someone can direct me in the correct type.

Thank you for your time.

Why do you not want to just make the switch provide an automatic signal to release excess water? There are many simple systems available.

Pepperl & Fuchs probably have something that will do what you want but I don't know costs involved. Simple is cheapest.

Hi,

This may not apply to your situation, but is very common to run a pump like this automatically off a float switch, or switch similar to the links in your post. The switch would energize a 110V pump or a starter for a higher voltage pump.

If you can't have the pump cycle automatically, then a company called AKCP makes what your looking for. It's called a SensorProbe. You plug an ethernet cable into one socket, a water level sensor into another socket. It has a built in mail server and sends alert emails all by itself.

We have two of them sensing humidity in a 'dry room' where I work.

Might I suggest automating your pit level control, rather than using an email alert which still requires manual intervention?

Have you considered a commercial sump pump?

Sump pumps turn on when the water level gets high and run until the water level drops, then the pump stops. Doesn't need an SMTP server or someone to get out of bed at 3AM to turn the pump on or off.

If your pit capacity is too large for a packaged sump pump, you could make the equivalent - a larger pump and a wide differential level switch to turn it on and off, automatically.

If you end up using two switches, one for low level and one for high level, Gems sensors used to make a pump control module that would provide wide deadband operation from two discrete switches.

Bud

Yes, the picture you see online is a good start. Using simple house security products for control will do a good job as well. The same type of reed is used in level switches as in window alarms.

For a building application, you may want to use a rugged stainless model with a bracket bolted to the wall. The unit would have a Hi Hi level that would send a signal to your computer or whatever - phone lines even to a security system.

You would then have a high level for pump on and a low level for pump off. A latching relay controls this operation. It sends a safe low voltage signal to the switch and has a max 240V 8A relay that can control a pump or contactor.

You could also take a signal from this to indicate when the pump is on. Simply bolt it in - that’s it. Custom models are vast but you can see some large multi level at: http://www.almegcontrols.com/ The old link has more detail on multi level large.

I don’t think you need a continuous 4-20 output also available - just a simple on / off with high alarm. You can have up to 7 switch points on a probe.

Thanks
Bob Hogg

R

Robert Harrison

Potential solutions from my company:
1. Low cost- Pulsar mercury float (Pulsarpoint 800 @ $50)and relay to activate a red light. This could be wired at your entrance/exit door and alarm you when the level is high.

2. Medium cost- Pulsar ultrasonic level and pump controller (Vantage 100) to activate an alarm and turn your pump on when the level is high and off when it gets low in automatic mode.

3. Higher cost- Use either suggestion above and connect to a Mission Wireless Alarm Notification to email you when the level gets high.

Please feel free to call 850-609-1777 or visit our website http://www.pulsar-us.com.