Raspberry PI

J

Jeremy Pollard

Looking for applications that our community has applied the PI for a column I am writing.. needs are immediate:) thank you all in advance!!

If there is anything specific or really cool about the application can you please indicate as well?? thank you!!!

Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET The Caring Canuckian!
Crisis, necessity, change

Integrator, Educator, Consulting, Columnist - Control Design

M

Mark / Automated Solutions

Hey Jeremy,

I just wanted to let you know that Automated Solutions recently released a communications library called ASComm IoT that runs on Raspberry Pi with Windows 10 IoT Core or Linux. ASComm IoT offers communications drivers for Allen-Bradley, GE, Siemens, and Modbus that allows .NET developers to create .NET Core and UWP apps that run on Raspberry Pi and other embedded PC Platforms. I don't have visibility of our customer's applications, so I can't provide application details, but thought you might want to know that this is available. Contact me if you want additional details.

Mark
https://automatedsolutions.com

C

Curt Wuollet

Hi Jeremy

I have about 40 of them deployed on the door finishing plant floor.
Most are involved in data collection, they count the production, calculate and display count, rates and goals on large displays for the crew and leaders. They send the data to a central MySQL ERP database and also to large department displays for live graphs of various metrics. Several are used to interface between enterprise systems for RFID, etc. and islands of automation so they are no longer islands.

Others use the Pi camera for High Definition live video where operators otherwise couldn't see the process. A few run measurement stations and work fixturing with touchscreen input. The Pi do everything that PLCs don't and also logic at need. They all use good old TCP/IP on the plant Ethernet network with no screwy proprietary software or spendy hardware, cost a tiny fraction of doing it with Big Automation hardware and can be replicated quickly. The little administration needed, because they are Linux systems and "Just Work", can be done with VNC and ssh/sftp from my desk. The power of Python, open protocols, and the ability to communicate with almost anything
means you can say yes to a lot more requests.

Regards
cww

J

Jeremy Pollard

Thank you to all who replied - much appreciated.. thanks again!!!!

Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET The Caring Canuckian!
Crisis, necessity, change

Integrator, Educator, Consulting, Columnist –Control Design