re- exhaust spread trip

B

Bayo Olaniyan

Thanks for the reply to my post on the above named. when I could not convince the mechanical to open up, I now looped the 4no thermocouples reading low to the orders in other segments. the Unit is now carrying 75MW. what effect will this have on the turbine?

You know the answer to this question. You are removing the "offending" T/C values and jumpering good values in their place.

The Speedtronic does not now know that an exhaust temperature spread exists, and so now the turbine buckets are being heated and cooled excessively once per rotation.

No worries, though, about having to convince the mechanical department to take the machine apart. They'll likely be doing it much sooner than expected and at much greater cost than if they'd done it before.

I just hope you're not looking for a job when management is looking for someone to blame for causing a catastrophic failure by fooling the Speedtronic to run the turbine with high exhaust temperature spreads.

Write back and let us know how this turns out for you.

Having replaced (seven) failed temperature sensors in the original posting, have you checked the thermocouples? You may need a shop test of the sensors to make sure they are reading properly.

Also, if transmitters are involved, have they been checked?

It seems very much like an instrumentation problem.

Love it!

When it doubt jumper! Never mind that there usually is a reason the system had the function. It can't be that important if it's so easy to bypass!