Reading and writing registers

T

Tracy

Could someone help me please??? I am wanting to read and write to PLC registers with C++ or VB. Could someone tell how i could do this? Also I want to use a Modicon PLC. Could anyone suggest which one to get? I would like to do something simple right now just to learn how. It is for a school project. I don't really need to program the PLC just read and write to it. Please help!!!! It will be from a Modbus connection. Someone told me something about a SA85 card. I don't know anything about PLCs though.

thanks

Tracy

Tracy,

Take a look at using SMRX from www.sapia-inc.com. It is a Modbus/RTU Master ActiveX control that works with VC++ or VB. You can download a fully functioning demo that includes VC++ and VB examples. You'll have your app running within minutes using SMRX.

[email protected]

Tracy

You do not need an SA85 card unless you want to use Modbus Plus a proprietary network. All Modicon PLC 's will have a serial port that will connect to a Com port on your PC. You will have to write a Modbus protocol driver using sample code available on the Schneider web site.

F

Fabio Mielli

>Dear Tracy. You can use some softwares that uses DDE link (This softwares read the Modbus register and translate to our VB

Another process is called OPC - that can link a Modbus product to a Office environment - please see the Modicon web site modicon.com and search for OFS

I think you should learn on your own. That is why you are in school. The internet has already screwed up education because of the vast knowledge available at the fingertips.
Use the internet as a resource, but not to get all the answers and have others do the work for you.

M
Go to www.modbus.org - all the documentation is there. For a simple project, get just the manual PI-MBUS-300.PDF from www.modicon.com or other 100 Web sites that keep it

Forget about SA85 - this is for MODBUS PLUS - a fast (1.544 mbits/sec) and proprietary protocol

As for the programming language, anything will do, including Turbo Pascal and good old BASIC