rebuilt a car alternator to be used as a wind turbine alternator

F

Francisco Bolivar

Where can I find instructions to rebuilt a car alternator to be used as a wind turbine alternator?

Which wire do I have to use in the new stator coils?

How many turns per coil?

How many and which size of neodymiuns magnets to use in the rotor?

Thanks
Francisco Bolivar Carneiro
franciscobolivar [at] globo.com

Brazil

P

P malaspinas

hi Francisco,

its not so easy to make but you have to understand electric motors. any motor can be used to create electricity be it ac or dc. when applying mechanical spin to the shaft, you will create voltage potential equivalent to motor winding. so if you have 12 volt motor, you will have 12 volts at the leads take. volt meter and try.

now the difference in alternators is that when creating voltage or spin, the winding creates frequency as well. 50 Hz or 60 Hz depending the standard of the country you live in. the frequency means shut down ac current alternates meaning back and forth, un like dc. need to do more homework then try 2.6 turns per volt is formula for winding.

Hi
I am planning to build a reaction turbine based alternator (220, 50 Hz) using a car alternator. What should i be considering?

R
You will have to have some sort of speed increaser Gearbox or belts. I don't think the alternator will put out any useful power below about 500 RPM