Recipes with Panelview & Controllogix

J

Justin

The operator has to be able to set various parameters and create a name to store these with. I need an ASCII input for the creating the name of the recipe. Various parameters need to be saved and recalled with the named recipe eg. timer values, speed settings.

I understand this is a lot of work so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Justin

E

Eduardo Manuel C. Cipriano

Hi,

Use a standard recipe format in the Panelview and of course the job of Contrologix is to store them since PV does not have a buffer or register to store them. this is how we do it and ther is no other way in case you may need a system integrator to sub con the job that you will be doing

alvin "KIDLAT" cipriano

J

James Ingraham

My recommendation would be to store the recipe in the ControlLogix rather than in the PanelView. Let's say your recipe consists of 5 pieces of data. (If it's more, the same concept applies.) Make a user-defined structure (say RecipeStruct)
containing those 5 pieces of data. Then create a tag that is an array of that structure (Recipes). Need a hundred recipes? The array should have a length of 100. Now make another tag of type RecipeStruct, Current_Recipe. Select a number on the PanelView (Recipe_Num) and hit a button that latches Load_Recipe. In code, copy
the data from Recipes[Recipe_Num] to Current_Recipe. Voila! Recipes on ControlLogix.

Adding ASCII names to these recipes is a little bit harder. I have not personally used the ASCII functions that are in RSLogix 5k (as of version 6, anyway). One way to do this would be to put the recipe names in the PanelView, but that means editing the PanelView program every time you change a recipe name. Anybody else out there know how to handle text between ControlLogix and PanelView?

-James Ingraham
Sage Automation, Inc.

S

Steve Myres, PE

I agree about storing the recipe data in the PLC. Even when using HMI's with the capability to store the data, I do it this way. I figure if the PLC bombs, you're dead anyway, but if the HMI breaks, and it's not storing any data, you can slap another one in place and load (or have already preloaded) the application, and you're back on the air again, hopefully with no interruption in the process.

If you adhere to this philosophy, you also have to be careful about the type of pushbuttons you use on the HMI. Some of the maintained PB's store the button status in the HMI, so if you shut down the HMI and plug in another, the transfer probably won't be bumpless and/or the button status as displayed on the HMI will be wrong.

S

Steve Myres, PE

Starting with firmware v10, String data type is actually supported in the CLX, similar to the PLC and SLC, as opposed to just having two byte ASCII representation of 16-bit integers, like before. So, the recipe name can actually be stored in the
recipe with the data, and communicated to the HMI, like any the setpoint data, assuming the comms protocol for the HMI has been updated to deal with string data.

[email protected]