Recommend 2 axis controller??

R

Richard E. Lamb

Looking for a simple, affordable, 2 axis servo controller to retrofit on a plasma cutter. The machine is mechanically ok, as are the existing
servomotors.

Would like to be able to retrofit a control system which can be used to "plot" from an AutoCad drawing file. The machine is just a flat, x/y axis table with cutting torch overhead used
to cut steel plate. It's been a couple of years since I did any motion control projects - just
looking for recommended brands of motion
controllers which can interface to a PC and have some software conversion to be able to "plot" from a cad file.

Rick Lamb

J

James Ingraham

While there are dozens of options for motion control, my recommendation would be Douloi. They really know how to do this kinda thing.

A lot people will recommend Delta Tau. It is a very, very well-respected product that does everything under the sun. However, there is a steep learning curve because it is quite complicated. Also expensive.

Galil is probably the big name for this kind of thing after Delta Tau. They strike a nice balance between cheap and expensive, and between simple and complicated. But I don't like their "two-letter" command set.

-James Ingraham
Sage Automation, Inc.

You can try Allen Bradley's Servo drives and servo motors for this...
For further details refere to their Catalog...

Regards,
A.K.D.

M
I have converted 1 of my milling machines with a PC based servo control system which i have designed a built myself. It is capable of full 3 axis continuous contouring so 2 axis is no problem. It has a simple text editor for program input with looping and macro capabilities plus a built in calculator. It will also read G code or ASCII files,dxf files and there are other software programs which will convert from all other file types to any of the above. I would like to have this system tested on other applications so please contact me if it sounds suitable. I do need to recover some of my developement costs but the price is negotiable.The system has been running my machine for 12 months now with no major problems.

Good luck
Mike Potter