Recycle Valve control from remote location

Z

ZHAK

We have four Natural Gas Booster Compressors of make Ariel installed at remote location. These compressors are waukesha gas engine driven. We want to control recycle valve opening from our Main Control Room (MCR) which is 50KM away from site. We have wireless point to point link of 150Mbps for communication. This link is currently being used for displaying parameters and trends on MCR HMI. Wireless link is of Motorolla. Control system is AB Controllogix1756 L61. HMI is Factory Talk View

1) Please inform me about any standard which provides guidelines for communication between remote locations. (as in our case)

2) Which communication medium is recommended for this purpose

3) Whether it is recommended to control recycle valve of a compressor from remote location.

F

Fred Loveless

I do not know of any standard regarding this but I know that we routinely have users that do this with or ControlLogix Ethernet (CIP) driver as well as other drivers. Personally I would think the best course of action would be to have a PLC that does the direct control with the ability to also reset the valve remotely. This is what most of our customers do as well. there is very little direct control for safety reasons. the potential of a dangerous delay is to great.