Reliability Centered Maintenance (was Trade show dull-drums)

M

Michael Griffin

At 10:45 15/05/01 -0400, Paul Gruhn wrote:
>We're changing threads here, but what Mike is describing is essentially
>'reliability centered maintenance', which has been around a long time. Mike
>even described what's involved. One would have to know the process and
>various other issues to predict downtimes and economic impacts. At that
>point, it's a simple cost/benefit (risk) analysis compared to other
>alternatives (such as not doing anything at all). Public failure rate data
>bases do exist (although plant maintenance records are better). Nothing
>really new here at all.
<clip>

I had rather thought that this would be the case. Is there a good standard reference method for applying this? If I am going to try this out? I would like to be able to tell people that I am applying a well established and accepted methodology rather than something of my own invention.
Also, where would one find these public failure rate data bases? Plant maintenance records are only useful if you keep detailed records and analyse the failed devices (many perfectly good devices get replaced).

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada
[email protected]

H

Hullsiek, William

Check the www.ivara.com web-site. They are a CMMS vendor that has some neat stuff surrounding RCM.

Particularly, integrating HMI with machine diagnostics, and problem tree resolution.

- Bill Hullsiek
"Maintenance we don't need no stinkin maintenance"

R

Ramer-1, Carl

Reliability Centered Maintenance isn't really new. It's been around for many years by that name and a lot more by it's previous identities and incarnations.

The concept of RCM must be implemented during design for the maximum benefit. We get that point driven home regularly when we see a failure from a preventable cause like chosing the wrong material to manufacture a part or the wrong maintenance instructions provided with a new device.

The search engine HotBot brings 2,600 links for "Reliability Centered Maintenance" including some which provide good historical
background.

Carl Ramer, Engineer
Controls & Protective Systems Design
Space Gateway Support, Inc.
Kennedy Space Center, Florida.