Remote connection

P

Pierre Desrochers

Any modem wiz outhere? To configure Windows for port sharing with a software that has no support for dialing a modem, the modem connection must be made before attempting to communicate to a PLC with this software. Windows Terminal program or Windows 95 Hyperterminal is a good choice to establish the modem connection. Windows by default will not let applications share a port. This can be remedied by adding "Com?AutoAssign=0 " to the <386ENH> section of the system.ini file in the Windows directory. Substitute the ? for the port number you will be using . Then you establish the communication with the terminal and execute a "Online Connect" (or whatever it is with this software)using the com port as if the PLC was directly connected to it... Any ideas on why this is not working with all the software I use? The DOS base softwares are doing OK but some Windows based are not doing OK at all. I use mainly 7-E-1 as protocol. Thancks in advance! Pierre Desrochers - Integral Instrumentation Inc.

I've been told that Hyperterminal takes exclusive use of the com port. Only program I was told could make the connection and share it was Windows Phone Dialer. Not sure of the accuracy of that information, but I would be interested in how you get it working. 2 of my 3 PLC programming packages do NOT have modem dialing support internally. It would be a good thing if I can get this to function.

CK

You don't state which version of Windows you are using. I have been told that Windows NT does not support the 'AutoAssign' feature. I have a document from Modicon Tech support describing how to connect over a modem using Modbus serial and Concept software. The same procedure should work for other programs as well. Just note, that this only works with external modems. You can find this document at http://public.modicon.com, and doing a search for modems2k.doc. The info about WinNT is on page 8. Don Zunti, P. Eng. Delco Automation Canada [email protected]

P

Pierre Desrochers

I am testing this setup on Win98SE and win95x. Pierre Desrochers Integral Instrumentation Inc.

P

Pierre Desrochers

Have a look at Q130402 in MS knowledge base. Pierre Desrochers Integral Instrumentation Inc