Replace a DVC 6000/6200 without Stroking Actuator

J

journeymanj

I am looking for a procedure to change out a fisher DVC 6000/6200 on an actuator that can not be stroked to preform a initial calibration. I am very familiar with DVCs HC, AD, PD, OVD etc. I have only seen task done once by a valve tech who had preformed the calibration on another identical actuator and lined up magnet. But is there any other way besides having an identical stroke and style actuator to preform a calibration on new unit?

Please only comment if you have extensive experience with this positioner and this scenario. I do realize that this could vary being a spring and diaphragm, piston, or rotary but if anyone knows another way besides what I mentioned earlier please enlighten.

Thank you

D

David Wilson

Simulate the calibration on the workbench or on an identical valve that is offline and can be operated.

G
HOTSWAP is a procedure to copy the configuration of one DVC into another DVC when a situation occurs for a complete or partial replacement of a DVC.

Only HART communicating device can be swapped.

Only works with same product series, with same firmware version
Example: DVC6000 with firmware 6 can only be swapped with another DVC6000 with firmware 6

below is the steps:

Step-1: To change the DVC on the valve:

Block the valve into position either with a handwheel or with a pneumatic bypass arrangement that includes a regulator and pressure gauge.

Remove the existing DVC by disconnecting mounting hardware, being careful NOT to loosen or move the adjustment arm with pin that is connected to the valve stem block.

The adjustment arm will remain on the valve and its position must remain the same.

Install the new DVC, inserting the adjustment arm pin in to the feedback arm.

Step-2: To save the configuration of the old DVC into internal flash memory of 475:

-Connect the 4-20mA supply to the old DVC using a loop calibrator and connect the 475 handheld communicator.

- Upon entering the Device tag, it shows online menu and a SAVE button below. Click SAVE. It will ask to select the location, where to save the configuration, Select Location as 'Internal Flash'
Click ENTER.

Step-3: To transfer the saved content in the 475 to the new DVC:

Power up the new DVC and connect the same 475 handheld to the new DVC. From the offline menu of the 475 handheld, select Saved Configurations.

-Select the location of the Saved configuration, it will list down all the saved configurations in the memory.

-Select the Configuration by the Device name of the old DVC.

- You have an option here to expand and view the detailed configuration, and Compress again.

- Select Edit, then Mark all to include the entire configuration (including travel calibration) to be copied.

Select Save to save the configuration, and return to the Contents menu.

Again select the desired configuration.

Select Send.

**The Field Communicator will prompt you to take the instrument to "out of service" mode. Again select the desired configuration.

At the point in this process it asks the following: "To keep instrument's travel calib, press Abort; then edit and unmark Travel Calib Variables 1 & 11. Otherwise, press OK" , press "OK" to input the calibration data from the saved configuration**

Hot Swap Procedure
The Hot Swap procedure allows you to input the configuration of on HART communicating Fisher FIELDVUE DVC5000 or DVC6000 digital valve controller into another HART communicating DVC5000 or DVC6000 digital valve controller. This procedure can be used when a situation occurs that requires the partial or complete replacement of a digital valve controller.

Note
A digital valve controller must be replaced with the same product Series, and the same firmware version. For example, a DVC6000 digital valve controller, firmware 6, must be "swapped" with another DVC6000 digital valve controller, firmware 6.

This procedure requires the use of a 275 HART Communicator or 375 Field Communicator.

To save the digital valve controller configuration after set up and calibration:

1. Go to the on-line menu.

2. Select Save. The Field Communicator will prompt you for a save location. You can save to the Internal Flash, the Configuration Expansion Module within the handheld, or to the removable Expansion Module (EM) that snaps into the Expansion Port on the side of the 375 Field Communicator.

3. Once the location is has been selected, select Save again. All configuration data will be saved.

To send configuration data to a new digital valve controller:

1. From the off-line menu, select Saved Configurations.

2. Select the location of the Saved Configuration.

3. Select the desired saved configuration to open the menu selection.

4. Select Edit, and then, Mark All. This will mark all configuration data to be sent to the new digital valve controller. (including travel calibration).

5. Select Save to save the configuration, and return to the Contents menu.

6. Again select the desired configuration.

7. Select Send.

8. The Field Communicator will prompt you to take the instrument to "out of service" mode. Follow the prompts to complete this. At the point in this process it asks the the following: "To keep instrument" travel calib, press Abort; then edit and unmark Travel Calib Variables 1 & 11. Otherwise, press OK , press "OK" to input the calibration data from the saved configuration.

9. After the saved configuration has been sent, follow the prompts to put the instrument back into the "in service" mode.

To change a digital valve controller on the valve:

Block the valve into position either with a handwheel or with a pneumatic bypass arrangement that includes a regulator and pressure gauge. Remove the existing digital valve controller by disconnecting mounting hardware, being careful NOT to loosen or move the adjustment arm with pin that is connected to the valve stem block. The adjustment arm will remain on the valve and its position must remain the same.

To input or change the name of the digital valve controller:

1. From the online menu select Setup & Diag.

2. Select Detailed Setup, and then General.

3. Select HART Tag, and enter the valve tag number.

You can also enter the valve serial number, the date, and a message if desired.

J
I had seen the procedure and tried to preform in my DVC training class a few times. It never worked. The instructor did not know how to preform the the task in a real life application like I explained. I know exactly what steps your talking about. Every time I tried in class the travel Cal would not take. If there is any other input let me know. Our instructor was only knowledgeable in setting up diagnostic trends and how to interpret them. We currently do not take advantage of the diagnostics and use the positioner as a accurate valve positioner that responds to small changes for process control. Every time I tried the procedure it would not respond even "in service" I did this right out of the book. The instructor told me this was just for tag data but I thought he was wrong.