Request for help...

R

Ron Gage

Hi folks.

For those of you who know me: *HI*! :)

For those of you that don't, I am the author of the Allen Bradley Ethernet Library (ABEL) for Linux. This is an open-source project to provide a communications library for talking to Allen Bradley PLC's from Linux and other Unix based machines.

I have a bit of a quandry I need some assistance with. I would like to be able to offer support for "DH+ Message Routing" through a Pyramid Integrator (5/250). I have the basic ideas and knowledge on how to do this, I just don't have any sort of a debug platform. What I need is some sort of access to a Pyramid Integrator, either physically or through the net. If this access is through the net, I would have to insist that it not be a production machine as crashing the PLC is a real possibility during my testing. Ideally, besides having one locally to "mess with", it would be useful to have another PLC
hanging off of the DH+ port on the PI.

This project is not being underwriten by any company so there is effectively no "budget" for renting or buying one.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

--
Ron Gage - Saginaw, MI
([email protected])

C

Christopher Di Biase

1. well a PLC's are generally used when you want to have a dedicated control system that almost never goes down. (PLC's don't crash like
computers. I know this isn't so much a problem with a Linux box, but hard drives still fail :)

2. As Mark Bayern already said, no video games... That and PLC equipment is generally more expensive to buy than a PC, but then again any commercial software based control system would cost a pretty penny too.

3. Well if you wanted a hardware solution, Allen-Bradley MicroLogix 1200, 1500, or maybe even an SLC 500 platform would probably do the trick, but
there's no Linux programing software yet.

4. For the MicroLogix 1200, your looking at an AB list of around $2000 to get the analog modules. An SLC 500 platform would be marginally more than
that.

I don't claim to have the answer, but just an option that might fit your application :)
(we like options, that's why we like Linux so much :)

--
Christopher Di Biase <[email protected]>

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, While
loving someone deeply gives you courage." -Lao Tzu