Rockwell Software Activation Problems

• Thread starter Factory Automation Systems, Ltd.
  • Start date
F

Factory Automation Systems, Ltd.

Dear List,

I recently upgraded my Toshiba Laptop 4050CDS from Windows 95 to Windows 98 Second edition version 4.10.222a. RAM memory is 192MB and hard disk is 30GB. On reloading Rslogix 5, Rslogix 500 and Rslinx, I am having difficulties moving back the activations from the Master disks to drive C of the computer. On pressing Evmove in the master disk, I get a message "ACTIVATION FILE CORRUPT-INVALID FILE ATTRIBUTES". Incidentally, I am able to move these activations to other computers in the office that have Windows 98.

The help in activation move software says that the systems files settings in the computer should be as follows:

EVRSI.SYS: "hidden, read only, system"
386SWAP.PAR :"hidden, read only, system"
EVICOM.SYS :"hidden, read only"

In my computer, EVRSI.SYS and 386SWAP.PAR have properties settings of "hidden,read only". I am unable to toggle their "systems" attributes as it has a shaded check box.
I have already set the view attributes of hidden files to to "Show all hidden files". Could someone aware of solving this problem kindly help me?

Many thanks in advance.

Rgds,
Gabriel

S

ScienceOfficer

Gabriel---

When the activation files on the hard disk get scrambled, however it happened, they rarely are salvageable. If your activations are safely on the Master Disks, then just delete the EVRSI.SYS and 386SWAP.PAR files from the root directory of the hard disk, and empty the Recycle folder to make sure.

Then, run EVMOVE from the Master Disks, not from the Utilities folder on your hard disk.

Hope this helps!

Larry Lawver
Rexel / Central Florida

it's easier to do this job from a DOS prompt... no, you don't need to boot up in DOS mode, just use a DOS prompt... try this DOS command:

ATTRIB C:\EVRSI.SYS +S +H +R -A

use the same format (with the appropriate attributes of course) for the other files... remember Plus sign turns it on, minus sign turns it off...

good luck, Ron

hi there's a solution, you can format a floopy disk and move the activation file with the EMOVE.

> The help in activation move software says that the systems files settings in the computer should be as follows:
>
> EVRSI.SYS: "hidden, read only, system"
> 386SWAP.PAR :"hidden, read only, system"
> EVICOM.SYS :"hidden, read only"

If this helps any, On my win95 machine, my evrsi.sys and 386swap.par files are setup like they suggested. but i do not have one called evicom.sys. And Rslogix does work on this computer, though I am not sure about RSLinx.

> In my computer, EVRSI.SYS and 386SWAP.PAR have properties settings of "hidden,read only". I am unable to toggle their "systems" attributes as it has a shaded check box.

I cannot change the 'system' property of my files either. However, a little quick investigating showed me that the system attribute is greyed out on all files. Even files i just created. This is a guess, but I think you will have to change the attributes in DOS. Try 'attrib /?' and see if it has a help screen. If not, look it up on the net. It looks like the command might be "Attrib +S [Filename]"

One more thing, you will probably not be able to do it from a dos box in windows. If you cannot, try rebooting your computer and hitting F8 just before windows loads. That should bring up a boot menu. Choose the 'command prompt only' option and try it from there.

Good Luck
-jeff

Rockwell has been pretty good about sending replacement floppies. I've installed OSs without pulling the keys off the machine. Provided the license is legal, they should send you a new one. I mean, if you're paying maintence (updates), buying alot of Rockwell Automation equipment, the cost of the floppy is noise.

Do yourself a favor in the future, make a backup of the key. This utility is useful for just that purpose.

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm

Dan

Rockwell way for software privacy is weird. The activation file easily get corrupted.
These are things make it corrupted:
-- If you are trying to copy the activation files from one place to other, it gets corrupted.
-- If you are trying to move the activation from hard drive to external drives (scsi drives) it gets corrupted.
-- You cant move the activation from one partition to other partition on the same system.
-- Your activation cant at be at more than one location. So you need to backup before you do anything to your system.
-- Biggest problem is if you dont have a floppy drive, that is the only allowable disk to move in evmove utility which is kind of weird again.

So if you sure it got corrupted, call to rockwell and explain them what you need and could request the activation disk again.

Suman K

F

FACTORY AUTOMATION SYSTEMS LTD.

Dear Larry,

Many thanks. I did as explained and now everything is okay.

Again, Thanks,
Gabriel

A
Hi,

Just visit Rockwell website.

Rockwell used to provide reset codes for the activation disks at their web site. You had to give them serial number and some other details. This service was online and used to work fine.

Users should probably keep their activation disks in a proper environment and not tinker with the floppies. Use EVmove to move activation from hard disk to floppy. Replace hard disks at a good frequency before they can go corrupt.

Lessons learnt the hard way!

Regards,

Anand Iyer

Thats why you should always make a backup of the activation disk before you use it and keep it in a safe place.

Suman wrote:
Rockwell way for software privacy is weird. The activation file easily get corrupted.

<Complete thread at http://www.control.com/ 1026178784/index_html >

B
Or if you have a legal version to begin with and are current on your support, you canget a corrupted activation fixed with a simple phone call or web site visit.