RS-485 / fiber optic converters

B

Bill Townsley

Hi all,
I am looking for a line modem (converter) to convert a RS-485 signal from copper to fiber optic. There seems to be plenty of converters out there but they all seem to require two fibers. Thus far I have only found one that requires a single fiber, namely Phoenix PSM-EG-RS485W2/FO.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which converter I should look at? The site requirements are not too tough - maximum data speed is 56k,
however, the link needs to be reliable.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,

Bill.

C
It is of course possible to do with WDM and lascom offers such a device (850 nm one way, 1310 the other) but in most cases and for short runs a duplex fiber is always cheaper then WDM. Unless of course the fiber exists and can't be changed.....

J

Jeff LeBlanc

Bill,

Are you sure it is not 1 pair, I have used this one in the past and it needs 1 pair of fiber. In fact I am looking at the cut sheet that came with the convertor.

Jeff

J

Jeff LeBlanc

Bill,

Are you sure it is not 1 pair, I have used this one in the past and it needs 1 pair of fiber.
In fact I am looking at the cut sheet that came with the convertor.

Jeff

B

Bill Townsley

Jeff,
My understanding of the unit is that there are two models available, the 'T' type and the 'End' type. It is the 'End' version that looks like it only requires a single fiber. It's kind of expensive though at $1250 Cdn range per unit...

Regards,
Bill.