RS Linx Alternative

• Thread starter Emile Abou-Mrad
  • Start date
E

Emile Abou-Mrad

I need a powerfull AxtiveX control or some code example for Delphi or VB6 to communicate with AllenBradley SLC and Micrologix files with both DF1 and DH485 protocols. I've tried InGear32 demo, it works with single PLC's and using the DF1 protocol. What happens if I want to use multiple PLC's using the DH485 protocol? I would like the impressions of someone who is FULLY satisfied with automatedsolutions or InGear ActiveX controls.

N

Neil Kingston

I have used InGear with VB for simultaneous connection to multiple SLC 5/03 PLCs and it works well and I would definitely recommend it.

One possible limiting factor is that you need a separate serial com port for each plc with DH485.

Another potential problem is that you need to keep your plc powered up through emergency shut-downs, because if the plc cycles power the InGear driver effectively hangs up and then you need to restart your application or possibly even reboot the pc. There may be a way around this but I haven't taken the time to figure it out yet.

Alternatively, you may consider using an OPC server such as that provided by InGear (there are several others too). You can configure this OPC Server to connect to multiple plcs, then connect to the server from your VB program with an OPC Client Activex Control such as Data Layers' OPCWare - check out "www.opcware.com":http://www.opcware.com

Hope this helps::

Neil Kingston
Data Layers Limited
Ireland
www.opcware.com