RS Linx and NT4

C

Colin Carpenter

If RS Linx is installed on an NT4 PC, does it take control of all the the comms ports even if it is not running?

I had trouble getting a serial port to work and now I have trouble getting an ethernet card to work. All work fine in Windows 98.

Is there a way to configure RS Linx so that only certain ports are available to it?

Thanks,

If you use the PIC driver you have the option to select "Reserve Comm port fo exclusive use by RSLINX" which by the way is recommended. Even if it is not checked I still have to start Linx and stop it before I can use my comm port for other software.. It can be a real pain in the ass because i use alot of different software from many different vendors.. The PIC driver was not supported for Win2k but I guess enough people with useless pic boxes complained and RS provides one on their website. I have not experienced any difficulties with Enet though. :)
Good Luck

S

ScienceOfficer

Yes, in NT4 (and only NT4) certain RSLinx drivers have to run as services, and cannot share resources like a COM port with other software.
Since it's a pain to deal with, anyway, but the drivers are easily reconfigured, I deleted them when I needed to make the resource available to other software and replaced them when I needed to use them again. You have to reboot after doing either.

Hope this helps!

Larry Lawver
Rexel / Central Florida

T

Trevor Ousey

I have run RSLinx on several NT workstations (and a server) and used the comm ports for other programmes. Check the configured drivers for a DF1 driver (or other rs232 user), it will take control of the port even if you aren't using it. If you need to use it occassionally try setting it to manual. Is RSLinx running as a service? There will be two icons shown in the system tray, right click on rslinx and shutdown.

C

Colin Carpenter

Thanks ... and to the others who responded.

I eventually found that the problem was not with RS Linx, rather with a conflict between the PCMCI cardbus and the ethernet card that sits in it. Some re-arranging of the IO eventually cured the problem.

I knew that the coms ports scenario was a problem and had assumed that the ethernet problem was along the same lines. Turns out that it wasn't.

Thanks to you all,

Colin