RS View security issues

A

Andy Sibley

Hi,

A problem I've been working on for the last few days has me asking for advice! We have a number of Clients accessing the ADS Server. I need to tailor access to pushbuttons to set tags depending on WHO the person is and WHERE they're login in from. For example if they're logging in from a Control Room computer they have full access. If from an outside computer they can only view and not set tags etc.

Ideally I'd like to set the Security Codes (A, B, C etc) when they log in and that way I can allow only say "A" people access to setting tags etc. In reality that cannot be done as the Security Codes are loaded into memory when the project is run.

A second method using an example in their Support section is fraught with problems. It uses visibility control of objects and requires careful use of the /T switch. I'm also loading parameters as well using the /P switch. It's not an elegant solution to the problem.

Has anyone had a similar requirement and can give me pointers on the way to do it? Remember I need to grade access according to WHO they are and WHERE they're logging in from.

Thanks...Andy