Rslogix500 activation key problem

M

Michael Griffin

With regards to your comments on Siemens software, Siemens MicroWin (for the S7-200) is not copy protected, but the Siemens Step-7 (for the S7-300/400) is.

With regards to copy protection in general, many of the disk based copy protection systems cause computer security problems because they require the user to have Windows administrator (root) privileges. This tends to be very
unpopular with corporate IT departments as it violates all commonly accepted security standards. This problem is becoming serious and software vendors are going to have to address this very soon or they will find their products
banned from connections with many corporate networks.
--

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada

J

Joe Jansen/TECH/HQ/KEMET/US

Actually, if you use Cx-Programmer, the new software for Omron, you do not need tokens or dongles. Apparently they came to their senses at some point! Hopefully others (cough AB cough) will make the same realization.

--Joe Jansen

B
I suspect not, although some like Wonderware have a very simple prtection system that while it is easy to beat 9and they are pretty up front about that), it does discourage casual theft.

Some venders seem determined to make their users work as hard as possible to use the software, and to me it seems like the effort they put into that must cost them far more then they ever get in increased revenues, but thats a business decision I guess.

Bob Peterson

C
Yes, perhaps it's because I spend so much time on the other side of the fence, but what most shrinkwrap users endure turns me off fairly quickly. I try hard not to begrudge them the bucks, but working around all the secrecy, protection and pointless hassle makes me really glad when I can stop and log into a friendly environment. I don't much like using the computers at work. The Linux server I'm building on is a heaven sent oasis some days. Automation software is exceptionally nasty to work with in comparison. I wonder if they realize that?

Regards

cww

Hugo - Icom was assimilated by Rockwell Software.

Bob - Curt is correct that the effort to protect software that is completely useless to 99.99999% of the world is rediculous. The only people they are hurting are their legit customers. Who needs RSLogix/Linx except someone who has spent at least $5000 on hardware and wants to see their data on an HMI or write their program? The software should be FREE... especially for integrators doing the programming. I'm thankful that IT has issues with this... it just means that natural selection is in play.

Curt - I feel ya... I'm an integrator too.